Saturday, June 29, 2019

Suffer the Children...


Today's post will be much more personal than I usually get.

On both Facebook and my blog, I often make little observations about growing older. Today's yet another example.

It recently occurred to me that I've known many of my Facebook friends since they were children, although in each case, I myself was already an adult when we met. And I mean those that were little kids, not – for example – customers already in high school when I worked at That's Entertainment in the 1980s.

And of course, I'm not counting any of those whom I met during my own childhood, whether it was in grammar school or high school.

It's kinda scary to think that these little kids are now in their twenties, thirties, forties, or even early fifties! Most have children of their own.

In absolutely no order:

There's the neighbor girl who used to write what were inarguably the world's worst “knock-knock” jokes. She's about to hit thirty years of age and talks as if she's ancient.

And then there's the daughter of a dear friend, a friend who died almost twenty years ago. I still recall when this little girl loved Tigger, but she was absolutely petrified at the thought of Chucky from Child's Play. I assume such is no longer the case.

In the early 1990s, when I had a comic store of my own, one of the customers was a likable young adolescent who was occasionally targeted by bullies. Six or seven years later, he had turned into a tall, burly young gent. I would love to see someone try to push him around now.

When I was in my very first band, the bass player's girlfriend had a younger sister who for all intents and purposes eventually became like a sister to me. I haven't seen her in years, but I still feel the same way about her. I wonder if she still has the “Cranberry Eyes” necklace and the Wayne Newton Christmas LP...

When I was in my mid-twenties, I became close friends with a young lady in her mid-teens. She in turn had a sister of about eight or nine. Over twenty years later, I encountered the eight-year-old, now a strikingly attractive adult. Quite the surprise, once I finally recognized her.

When I sold comic books and other collectibles at the now-defunct Auburn Flea Market, there was an enthusiastic fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles who used to rifle through my comic boxes so quickly it made me nervous. Twenty-five years later, she's one of my unofficial “daughters.”

There's a guy whom I used to say I've known since before he was born. IIRC, his mom was waiting in their car, going into labor, while his dad and I were rummaging through a huge collection of Golden Age comic books in someone's home. At least, that's the way I like to remember the story.

Coincidentally, several years later, not one but two of that guy's younger sisters turned out to be friends of my second fiancée's daughter. I saw a lot of both of them as they grew up. Both were bright kids with engaging personalities. And today, they're Facebook friends of mine, too. Talk about a small world.

And that “second fiancée's daughter” I just mentioned? She's still in my life. She's my daughter for all intents and purposes and I couldn't love her more if she were a blood relation. During the last 35+ years we've been through more than even long-winded David would attempt to write about.

Last, but certainly not least, is the daughter of that “daughter.” I first held her when she was only ten hours old, and have since watched her and her husband bring two sons into this world – soon to be joined by a daughter – and plan to be around for as long as I can to watch them grow. Maybe someday, they'll be my Facebook friends, too!

Thanks for your time.

15 comments:

  1. I've moved too many times to have these kind of relationships. I'm sure that seeing your "children" have children feels good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, due to Facebook and the internet in general, I'm in touch with people literally all over the world. I've lived in the same area of the country all my life, but the 'net lets me keep up with people who now live far away.

      I have mixed feelings about the "kids" having "kids" because it inevitably makes me feel like I'm getting older, which -- surprise, surprise! -- I am.

      Delete
    2. I have found a couple of friends from high school online. They are very nice ladies who tolerate me for some reason.

      "I grow old ... I grow old ...
      I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."


      Delete
  2. Seeing them grow and learn and become who they are is grand indeed. Although sometimes when I see a few I just feel old.

    Think old Facebook will still be a thing in 15 years or so when they are on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that first paragraph 100%.

      You're perfectly justified in questioning whether Facebook will be the huge factor in people's lives that it is now. It certainly seems like a sure thing that it will be, but who's to say that someone else won't build a better mousetrap, as it were? Don't forget, Facebook wasn't even available to the public fifteen years ago. And do you remember how big Myspace used to be???

      Delete
    2. lol myspace, there is a blast from the past. And MSN messenger.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, interesting how you remain connected within the circle of life. I can't say I am connected to many people in my past as I don't do the Facebook thing. I think in your line of work you are exposed to a greater audience of friends. On, the other hand I will always remain connected to certain people

    I have also been connected deeply to people I have never met, perhaps like yourself.

    Hope you are staying dry it is pouring here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even without Facebook -- I was on it for a year around 2008, 2009, then off it until last January! -- email helps me keep in touch. And then there's that thing called the telephone. Remember how we used to use them to make what we referred to as "telephone calls?" You know, before texting?

      I've made some great friends from the blogs, too.

      During the worst of the rain on Sunday, I was safely inside the flea market.

      Delete
    2. Hi, True, I've been trying to contact you. Please email me at davidzrantz@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love watching my kids' friends as they've grown. And the kids of the kids I used to babysit when I was a teen. Sounds like you've lived a pretty full life so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have, but I didn't really think so until recently. Things kinda sneaked up on me.

      Delete
  5. This made me smile. Multiple times. It's a super precious thing to know your FB friends before they were your FB friends and children. And more seriously, it also made me realise that catching up on FB is not the same thing as catching up on the blogs. Note to self - got to be more mindful!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to find a balance between Facebook and blogging. I've been able to post a bit more lately, but I'm still dreadfully behind on reading my friends' blogs... like yours.

      Delete
  6. Old friends, their kids, and now their grandkids certainly gives one a sense of life and the passage of time, doesn't it? It is fun to watch the changes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that "sense of life and the passage of time" just makes me feel old!

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...