Thursday, June 6, 2019

D-Day


Today's post is (obviously) devoted to all who fought during the massive invasion forever known as D-Day, June 6th, 1944. We must always remember those who lived and died, for all played their part and made a difference.

My father was a soldier during World War II, from 1943-1945. That means that he was in the army on D-Day, but I have no idea if he actually participated in the D-Day invasion that happened seventy-five years ago today. Why? Well, although he took me to see World War II-related movies at the drive-in, and watched WWII-related movies and television programs with me at home, he never discussed his actual war experiences.

No, for that kind of thing, I was "stuck" reading Marvel Comics' Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, and later titles from both Marvel and DC like Captain Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders, Our Army at War (later Sgt. Rock), Star-Spangled War Stories, Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen, and other comics of that ilk!


Sgt. Fury was always my favorite of the war comics, though. Its earliest issues were drawn by Jack Kirby, but by issue #8 (the first issue I got brand new), the artwork was by Dick Ayers. Imagine my joy thirty years later when I got to meet Dick and even work with him on an unsold comic book series of ours!


And how did my father feel about my love for the war comics? I don't think he gave it much thought, really. But when I read Sgt. Fury #9 (pictured above), it sent me to the World Book Encyclopedia to find out more information about this "Hitler guy." That, and similar situations where (for example) issues of Journey into Mystery (later The Mighty Thor) made me consult the World Book on various characters from Norse mythology like Loki, Odin, and Balder, are no doubt why my parents always encouraged my comic book habit.


There was one issue my father took exception to, and that's Sgt. Fury #32, pictured above. He looked at the cover in mild surprise, complaining about how ridiculous it was that the Nazi soldiers were missing Nick Fury and his men at such close range.

Thanks for your time.

5 comments:

  1. I'm always astounded at the variety of experiences in your life that somehow relate to comic books and those who create them. How absolutely cool that you got to work with one of your idols. And I love that your curiosity led you to the World Book. My parents had a giant encyclopedia when I was a kid, and I logged many reading hours with that heavy thing on my lap.

    Nice photo of your dad. My dad was in the Army during peacetime, but he was in the same group as Elvis Presley (he always had nice things to say about him, how he'd tried hard to be a regular person). So we have no military stories, but we have photos of my dad with Elvis when they were both in their early twenties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be so cool to be showing a friend the family photo album and be able to say "That's my dad when he was in the army, and that's his best friend Mitch, and that's Elvis Presley, and that's some guy named Rob or Bob or something, and that's..."

      Delete
  2. Silver you have had an extraordinary life. Filled with adventure. I would love to see your comic collection. I am sure they would tell a much bigger story about you.

    That is a fine photo of your dad and a nice way to pay tribute to him.

    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comic collection is a lot smaller than you may think. Over the years, I've sold some, thrown out a lot of the ones I had as a kid, had several boxes stolen... but you and Lynda are both right, my life has been intertwined with comic books in many ways.

      Delete
  3. You look very much like your dad! Fox News had really good 24/7 coverage for days leading up to the D-Day 75th commemoration. I was glued to the tv for a few days. Wonderful stories or those heros!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...