Saturday, September 29, 2018

"One Who..."


You know how, even if you know what a certain word means and can use it correctly in a sentence, sometimes when someone asks you to actually define it, you can't exactly put it in words? There are such words, words I "know" but can't actually give you the "dictionary definition" of said word.

Well, the other day, for whatever reason, I did a quick search for a dictionary definition of "introspective". And what was the result?

in·tro·spec·tive: characterized by or given to introspection.

Well, that was a lot of effin' help...! Good thing I already know how to use "introspection," innit?!?

I was reminded of vocabulary tests in high school. Every so often, I'd be faced with a word that I just didn't know. However, if said word ended in "er" or "or", I was all set. I could usually bullshit my way through the answer. Let's say that I didn't know what -- I'll choose some easy words for my examples here -- a "speaker" was, or what a "driver" was, or what an "actor" was. I'd just answer "one who speaks", "one who drives", and "one who acts", respectively, and ninety-five times out of one hundred, I'd actually get away with it!

Of course, certain words just can't be defined in such an underhanded way. Words like "carpenter" and "butcher", for instance. "One who carpents"? "One who butches"? Uhhh, maybe not.

Sorry. Just rambling today.

Thanks for your time.

14 comments:

  1. Well maybe the butcher wanted to butch up. A bit of a stretch. True, you have to at least know that the word works without the er or or at the end. Sometimes the definitions are useless too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Maybe the butcher wanted to butch up?" Interesting thought.

      Delete
  2. The gift of BS, we call it. It drives me crazy when someone asks me for a word definition and I can't come up with a dictionary-type explanation even though I know perfectly well what the word means and how to use it. I like your trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was once asked for the definition of "respectively", and could provide examples but did not have the words for a concise definition. I was so embarrassed.

      Delete
  3. Feel free to ramble, I rather enjoy it. It's nice to know someone other than myself likes to ramble.

    I recently did a big ramble on one of your posts then deleted it to spare your readers the wanderings of my mind. Sorry, Silver. I hope you at least were able to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw your deleted comment. But you don't have to worry about rambling, True. Not here!

      Delete
  4. Rambling is actually a brilliant way to destress. Sometimes straying is more useful than staying on point, especially if one is stumped for words.

    It's much like taking a detour off the main highway - get into the grass or a previously unexplored town, munch something, or sit with a coffee in a newly discovered uncrowded cafe. When one gets back the light has changed on the highway. Clarifies things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of things in life that will improve or can be improved when you just step away from them for a bit.

      Delete
  5. Coming up with a specific definition can be quite difficult, especially with my friend who is Puerto Rican. If she doesn't know the word already, then it's difficult for me to come up with a description she can grasp (my fault, I'm sure).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend and former co-worker named Carmen, who came to Massachusetts from Puerto Rico when she was fourteen. She and I used to have fun discussing English and Spanish expressions that don't translate well. She told me that when Spanish-speaking people want to have a totally honest conversation, one of the speakers will suggest that they "talk with our pants off."

      Delete
    2. Mmmmmmmm? Would that be "hummer: one who hums?"

      Delete
  6. For all we know, whoever was assigned to define that word didn't know what it meant either, and went with your method. I wish I had tests like that! :)

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...