Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Insect Asides, Part Eleven ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post


  • Somewhere along the way in this multi-parter, I mentioned that there were two Insect Man stories in That's Entertainment's "inventory" which I didn't write. The first appeared in Insect Man #103. It was written, penciled, inked, and lettered by Chris Coleman. The story played off of the plot point where Greg Nile had lost his arm. Insect Man encountered a one-armed Vietnam vet.


A guy on the far right of the above panel lowers the window shade, giving us one of
the greatest sound effects ever, thanks to Chris Coleman. "Pull." Pull! Gotta love it.

Of course, by this time, I had come up with a much simpler version of that convoluted epic I'd originally envisioned for my follow-up to the "Fractured SKULL" storyline. And I must add that the development of this new story was greatly aided by Ken Carson. He and I would end up being co-plotters for the entirety of what became known as "The Funnel Effect."

And although the main stories in Insect Man #103 and #104 weren't scripted by me, Ken and I managed to insert a couple of "Funnel Effect" teasers at the end of each issue. Here's the first:



That upcoming "If God hangs up, do you get your dime back?" title was
only a joke, by the way. It was just a line that I liked, and decided to use.

Insect Man #104 contained a stand-alone story by W.W. Bird, a story in which Insect Man receives a letter from a woman named Aliethia. I read the name "Aliethia" and said to myself, That's got to be a made-up name! (But then  again, aren't they all?) So, I looked it up, just a couple of weeks ago. It is a real name! My apologies to Bill Bird.

W.W. Bird penciled the cover to IM #104. It was inked by Ken Carson.

Except for the framing sequence, Bill's story took place in the 1970s. Insect Man meets a woman named Aliethia, who is being stalked by a mercenary named Silver Fox (No relation to Yours Truly!).
 
By the way, I have absolutely no idea why W.W. Bird wrote SKULL as "S.K.U.L.L."

Bill decided to stick in the above subtle indication that Insect Man and Aliethia had slept together, but it was the following scene, where Silver Fox shows up, that presented a problem. Rex was originally naked while fighting Silver Fox. Even though Bill had drawn the scene more-or-less discreetly, it seemed silly and unnecessary. Paul had Bill retouch the artwork to add a uniform.


Insect Man was wounded by Silver Fox and ended up on the floor, at the mercy of the villain. Luckily for Rex, however, the Silver Fox who was after Aliethia was actually a pretender to the throne, so to speak. Aliethia was the original, "real" Silver Fox.


And once again, Ken and I contributed a teaser for the upcoming "Funnel Effect."

I  took "Jack Keller" from the name of an old comic book artist, and then expanded it to "Jacob Kellerman."


Did you notice this stained glass window, fellow babies?
Yep, it's Insect Man's good ole alien buddy, Hur-Bi.


Hm. A phone book listing for Michael Mason, not  Rex Mason? Well, y'see, it was planned by Ken Carson and myself to establish that "Rex" was only a nickname. Why change the name after over twenty years? Well, ever since DC Comics' The Brave and the Bold #57 (Dec 1964-Jan 1965), there had been a superhero called Metamorpho, the Element Man. And Metamorpho's real name was Rex Mason. 


Metamorpho had his own series for a while in the 1960s, and had made several guest appearances here and there over the years, but he was never incredibly popular. However, in mid-1983, DC introduced a new team title called Batman and the Outsiders, and as it happened, Metamorpho was prominently featured in that group.


By the time 1985-1986 rolled around, Paul Howley had been talking about the idea of publishing a "real" Insect Man comic book, so Ken and I thought we should steer away from using "Rex Mason."

I even had a really cool story in the back of my mind as to why, after a lifetime of being called "Rex," the newly-rechristened Mike Mason stopped using his childhood nickname. But this was yet another story which never even got scripted.

You see, unfortunately, Ken and I did not run our little decision to change IM's name past Paul Howley himself, who 1. owned the character and 2. published the book!

Oops.

Now, I can honestly say that, as an editor, Paul was incredibly easy to work with. (And I'd say that even if he wasn't going to read this. Which he is.) With Paul in charge, every one of us who submitted stuff for Insect Man or Insect Man's Weird Tales could do anything we wanted to do...

...except when we couldn't, like in the naked fight scene example above.

Paul said he wanted Insect Man to keep the name of Rex, as Paul was a fan in his childhood of a Boston-area TV cowboy named Rex Trailer. I was too, for that matter.

So, how did Ken and I handle that...?

To Be Continued.

Thanks for your time. Heh.

Insect Man, Insect Man's Weird Tales, and all related characters and titles are copyright © Paul B. Howley.

18 comments:

  1. I just made it before the library closed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew about Insect Man, but seeing these brings me back to the collection of comics my grandfather collected. Sure wish I knew where those went to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you. If they belonged to your grandfather, there were no doubt some pretty cool oldies in the bunch.

      As explained in earlier chapters of "Insect Asides," Insect Man was an amateur comic which I (and others) wrote before I'd ever written any pro comics. Insect Man was created back in 1965 by my friend and former employer, Paul Howley, owner of the That's Entertainment collectibles store.

      Delete
  3. Ha - I had to laugh over Jake's nightmare - welcome to my world.I wake up sometimes and wonder wth is going on. I know it's more than a dream. Hopefully, the universe is saved from destruction?

    So you aren't the silver fox in the comic? Ha maybe, Robin got mixed up when she called you Joanne. haha..

    It really is amazing to see how much work goes into creating a comic issue.

    Thank you for sharing the creative thought process.

    Good Night - Happy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your dreams aren't as world-shattering as Jake's right?And his were real. ("Real" in the reality of the comic, that is.) And since we're all still here, we know that the universe did not end. Ha. As to how, well, we'll see.

      Delete
  4. So much thought and effort for comics! Who knew?

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of work behind the stories, and behind the scenes as well.

      Delete
  5. Many universes...i.e multiverse...how cool to encounter that in a comic! The details and the art as usual are mind blowing. Though I was never a comic reader, as you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comics have been dealing with multiverses, alternate realities, parallel worlds, etc. for over fifty years.

      I appreciate that so many of my readers, most of whom are not comic book fans, still read and (usually?) enjoy my "Comical Wednesday" entries.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a lot of spectacular comic gems! I'm surprised that the Vietnam vet scene included the line about questioning his sexuality. That strikes me as very forward-thinking for that time, but maybe I'm wrong.

    I kind of laughed at one of the frames in The Unmasked Magician, where he gets slapped. It reminded me of the Batman-slapping-Robin frame that has become a meme.

    This has been fascinating! For as ignorant as I am about most comics, you're certainly keeping me intrigued. Thanks for such detailed history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris Coleman gets full credit for issue #103, including the whole "questioning his sexuality" bit.

      This "Insect Asides" series is not just a reminiscence, it's also my attempt at revealing my own writing process. Hence all the detail.

      Delete
  7. No Silver Fox serial killer in real life? Going after bad grammer people everywhere. That grammer just sets you off. Should we hide?

    Metamorpho is one I know. The whole naked thing does seem not needed. As it is a comic book, not real life. Although I still roll my eyes when movies has a woman, or man, get up with a sheet around them and walk to get dressed. Never seen that ever done in real life. Seen it all, just prance away lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the unrealistic aspect of things like that. I always shake my head whenever a film or TV program shows a couple sitting up in bed, both presumably naked. The man's shown naked from the waist up, while the woman has the sheet covering her chest. I figure, if they're comfortable enough with each other to be in bed together naked to begin with, the woman shouldn't be worried about covering herself that way.

      Delete
    2. Or she is wearing her bra? Who’s keeping that on.. lol..

      Delete
    3. just saying if you are being "realistic"

      Delete
    4. haha and then there are the scenes where they just did it and roll out of bed with underwear or pants on. Now that takes some skill.

      But then really, even if it is eye roll worthy, 90% of most entertainment is like that. Could nitpick all day. Like all the world ending crap. No way they are going to have fine hair, makeup, and pearly white teeth.

      Delete
    5. Your "pearly white teeth" remark reminds me of a scene in Excalibur. One of the knights is dirty, disheveled, and dying, IIRC. But his teeth were sparkling white and absolutely perfect.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...