Saturday, September 1, 2018

1912 Library

I borrow a lot of DVDs from the two libraries I frequent. A couple of weeks ago, I was watching -- and enjoying -- The Internship, a 2013 release starring Vince Vaughn  and Owen Wilson.

One of the scenes showed an establishing shot of the following library:

This photo is a screen shot from my TV, taken with my old-fashioned flip phone.

Another film I watched -- and didn't much care for -- was Night Moves, starring Jesse Eisenberg and Dakota Fanning. It was  also released in 2013, and included an establishing shot of this library:

Another screen shot from my television.

To my eyes, it looked like the two totally different films included the same shot of the very same library! Both buildings say nothing but the year they were built, 1912, and the word "library."

So I went online and found that The Internship was filmed primarily in Atlanta, Georgia. Night Moves was filmed in Medford, Oregon.

So, I thought, this couldn't be the same library, right?

Well, not having two photos to compare like you do, I had to find the appropriate scenes in both movies, and take a photo of each.

Notice that the basic construction of the front part of both libraries is very similar. A door, flanked by two windows, and all of them have a funky design at the top. Under the word "library" are four concrete whatever-you-call-thems, and each entrance has an electric lamp near the top of the doorway, on either side.

I guess 1912 was just a good year for building libraries.

Thanks for your time.

16 comments:

  1. I love all libraries , all and especially old libraries I think are magic. I have online a digital library to cook books. But really I love more phisical books. BTW I have to put other library in my bedroom.because I have so many books. And my mom read a lot until passed. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more books than I like to think about! Many of them are packed away and more or less inaccessible.

      Delete
    2. The last times I try to order (books and magazines) and put in boxes.
      And I will give some books to the Library. Sigh ...

      Delete
    3. I may donate a lot of my books to the local library when I die.

      Delete
  2. They look like Carnegie Libraries. We had an old one on the campus of Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. It had been turned into an office building. It was small, but it had the same design.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to say I was unfamiliar with Carnegie libraries until Sunday morning, when I was talking with a flea market customer. I did a little research -- about as much as I could do on my phone -- and there's definitely one in Atlanta. That must be the explanation for these similar buildings.

      Delete
  3. They can make you look twice, but having gone to 15,000 properties or so, I can say you get ones that are darn near built the same. Even when a few hundred kms away. The internship was a good one indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I liked it. I guess a lot of reviews said it was just one long commercial for Google, but that was really necessary if they were going to use a real tech company.

      Delete
  4. They look the same to me, except the paint job. Stock library facades?!
    Must say those are pretty clear photos for an old fashioned phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, I was pretty impressed myself. I didn't expect such clear results.

      Delete
  5. When did they start making cookie cutter libraries?

    Interesting tidbit Silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I got to learn about these "Carnegie Libraries."

      Delete
    2. Learning something new is always a win:)
      I love libraries so many adventures just waiting for discovery.

      Delete
  6. You have a keen set of eyes, Joanne. I assumed those were one and the same, 1912 and all. Wait - 1912? And they look so good. Libraries age well, when given the chance, it seems.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne? Uhhh, Robyn... I can honestly say that out of all the things I've been called in my life, both good and bad, nobody has ever called me "Joanne" before.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...