Thursday, May 30, 2019

Ohhh, MAN!!! ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post... on a Thursday!


For once and for all, people... It's Spider-Man. Not Spiderman. Spider-Man! If I see one more "authoritative" article about comic books that does this...!!!


Although admittedly, even Stan Lee didn't get it right all the time at first, as shown in the following examples from Amazing Fantasy #15.





And this one, from The Amazing Spider-Man #3, was even worse!


And, on a related note, you'd never write Bat-Man instead of Batman, would you? Well, DC Comics did, in Batman's very first story!



It makes it so much more difficult to correct someone when they can point to these previous screw-ups and claim that they were correct, dunnit?

Thanks for your time

12 comments:

  1. I might write Bat-Man. For Spiderman, I prefer his nickname: Spidey. That's what I call him in bed at night. Let's cuddle, Spidey.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan Lee liked giving his characters nicknames. Spider-Man was Spidey or Web-Head, Captain America was Cap or Wing-Head, Iron Man was Shell-Head, Thor was occasionally called Goldilocks... I mean, how do you shorten a name like Thor?

      Delete
  2. How does one ever screw up Super and Spider? Funny how some get on goofs to make believe they are right with their spelling of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm assuming the mistake from Amazing Spider-Man #3 wasn't in Stan Lee's script, but was made by the letterer who, at that early stage of Spidey's career, wasn't used to their even being a hero called Spider-Man. But who knows?

      Delete
  3. Love spider I think is more human than others !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for clarifying the spelling as I have seen it spelled many different ways. I sometimes wonder if I am spelling it correctly.

    I hope you are well Silver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've proudly never said "Spiderman" before. Dang it, I just did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nahhh, this doesn't count.

      I once had an argument with a guy. He'd made a reference to black people, using the N word. I told him I was highly offended and that there was no need to use that word, and he said "Everybody uses it." I replied. "I never have." And he said "You've never said that word in your life?" And I said I'd only used it if I were in a discussion about the word itself, or reading a quote from someone, etc. He said that was the same thing. I said "So if I said 'I hate that n***** over there,' you're saying it's just as bad as saying 'If you call my girlfriend a n**** again, I'll punch you in the face?' You're an idiot."

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...