Monday, October 22, 2018

Finger Lickin' Good!

Here's one of the crazier things I recently sold on eBay!



Vintage Colonel Sanders KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN Pressure Cooker, Circa 1950s
Have one to sell?Sell it yourself

Vintage Colonel Sanders KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN Pressure Cooker, Circa 1950s

Item condition:--
Sale date:Oct 11, 2018
1
Price:US $177.00

Shipping and handling

Item location: Webster, Massachusetts, United States
Shipping to: United States

Seller's description
Back in the 1950s, before he had his own restaurants, Colonel Harland Sanders used
to drive around the country trying to talk individual restaurateurs into selling his
Kentucky Fried Chicken. This is one of the original pressure cookers the Colonel
would bring into your restaurant. It has its metal Kentucky Fried Chicken plaque with
its serial number 28621 (see Scan #2), and still has the original black rubber gasket
(see Scan #4)... although I would be leery of actually trying to cook with it. It weighs

about ten pounds.

Whoever wins  this auction will also receive a free Colonel Sanders hand puppet from
(I believe) the 1970s. See Scans #7 and #8.

If you are pleased with your item(s) upon receipt, please leave positive feedback at
your earliest convenience. That way, I’ll know the transaction was satisfactory. I will
leave feedback for you only after receiving feedback from you.
Listing images
Thanks for your time.

16 comments:

  1. Yikes! I have some seriously not-fond memories of those things! My first job was cleaning those things at a Gino Marchetti's in Timonium, MD (they had the KFC franchise in the Baltimore area way back in the '60s). The cleaning agent was so caustic you had to wear extra thick rubber gloves to get anywhere near it, and you still went home smelling like old grease. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gino's!!! Holy crap, does that bring back memories. During my high school years, there was a Gino's restaurant in Auburn, MA, one town away from where I grew up. My friend Jeff worked there for a while. In those days, they not only served hamburgers, they also served fried chicken, chicken which tasted suspiciously like Kentucky Fried Chicken. It wasn't until a trip to the Southern states in the summer of 1973 that I found out it really was Kentucky Fried Chicken. The menu boards at the KFCs down there also advertised that they sold Gino's hamburgers.

      Delete
  2. Now there's something you don't see every day . . . glad you sold it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all sorts of KFC memorabilia from the 1960s and 1970s, but this piece was rather large and unwieldy, so I decided to part with it.

      Delete
  3. You made a nice bit of change off that. Can't say I've even seen one of them in real life before haha sooo old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they only went to restaurant owners. It was nice to own something for a few years, knowing that at one point Colonel Sanders actually owned it!

      Delete
  4. haha - I find it amusing that you actually had one to sell. I guess you made a nice profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it on eBay several years ago. I believe I paid $30-35 for it.

      Delete
    2. I guess I have to ask why? What was the motivational factor?

      Delete
    3. I collect all sorts of KFC memorabilia from the 1960s and 1970s. I have old chicken buckets, menus, napkins, metal ashtrays, pinback buttons, cups and containers, magazine advertisements, various containers, and other cool items. I just decided to sell the pressure cooker because it was so bulky and heavy, plus I found out how much I could get for it!

      Delete
  5. Wow! that's a gastronomical antique...looks quite shiny for a 60+ year old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was in very nice shape, at least until (as I just learned) UPS damaged the handle when they shipped it!

      Delete
  6. Whoa! Seriously? These things existed? Who knew! :)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The Colonel himself had this in his car at some point!

      Delete
  7. I wish I had the hand puppet.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...