Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Pome #4: "I Love You. Good-Bye." (Reprinted from 5/6/2009, Edited Where Necessary)


I started writing as a little child.

Poems and songs sprang from my developing imagination at, roughly, age eight and beyond. I did a lot of songwriting and poetry-writing between 1974 (when I was 17, 18) and 1982. Most of these songs and poems were only shared with my closest friends. Some of the songs were introduced to small segments of the world via a handful of bands I fronted in the very late 1970s and early 1980s.

Speaking objectively after several days of re-reading my old shit stuff, I can honestly say that I think that some of the songs and poems I wrote were pretty good. A few -- like the Morrisonesque poems I wrote circa 1981 -- really stank. Most fell somewhere in between.

And now, today's poem gets one of my typically wordy introductions.

I'm not exactly sure when this poem was originally written. Sometime in the early 1990s, IIRC. I was working as one of three overnight bakers in a supermarket chain. The store I was stationed at was, at that time, open twenty-four hours a day.

One morning, well after midnight but long before dawn, I was in the far corner of the bakery frying doughnuts when one of the other bakers walked up to me and said something to the effect of "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" I replied.

"A woman just asked me to write on a cake for her."

"And?"

"She had me write 'I love you, but good-bye' on it!" I immediately thought of three or four reasons why someone would want to express that sentiment to someone else -- most involving cheating lovers with guilty consciences -- but couldn't get over the idea of having those sentiments put on a cake! "Wow," I told him, "If someone gave me a cake with that written on it, I'd either throw it out onto the lawn, or right at her!" He agreed with me.

But naturally, I walked away thinking, "There just has to be a song or a poem I can get out of that!"

And there was, of course. So here it is.

* * * * *

I Love You. Good-Bye.

I woke last night, and washed my face, and roughly rubbed it dry.
The towel held your perfume's trace. It nearly made me cry.
I went back to the cold, cold bed that seemed so warm before,
And fought the tears and creeping dread till you walked in that door.

Neither of us had to speak. We both knew where you'd been.
You do this three, four times a week and then come sneaking in.
I'd like to play your games, your way, and beat you at this race,
But when I try, I just can't stay. The girls all have your face.

You won't see me cry.
You won't see me cry.
I love you.
Good-bye.

I guess there's nothing I can do to keep you true to me.
It must be me; it can't be you. I wish that I could see
A way to change your life, and mine, just like a fairy tale,
And leave this rotten life behind. But if I tried, I'd fail.

You care enough to still come home, yet let me die by inches.
Your love's the cruellest thing I own. It pulls, it cuts, it pinches.
There's nothing here I care to pack, so next time you go cheating,
I'll leave for good ere you come back, to save me one more beating.

You won't see me cry.
You won't see me cry.
I love you.
Good-bye.

* * * * * 

See? This is why I stopped writing poems and songs over ten years ago (with rare exceptions). My regular stuff is depressing enough, but the poems and songs were worse!

Starting next Wednesday... Back to normal, whatever the hell that means. OR... would you like to see more "pomes," at least for a few more posts?

Thanks for your time.

P.S. ~~ HEY, FELLOW BABIES! There's a brand-new glitch in Blogger which dozens of Blogger-bloggers have complained about in Google's HELP Forum. When someone leaves a comment, the blog's author no longer receives an email informing them that someone has commented. There are multiple threads in the Blogger Help Forum, but only ONE answer from an actual Google person... and what she suggested didn't work. Hopefully it'll be straightened out soon. Several Blogger-bloggers are threatening to move to WordPress.  

17 comments:

  1. UPDATE: That same "Google person" mentioned above says the email problem should be fixed soon. I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line is.... "You care enough to still come home, yet let me die by inches." What kind of person would do such a thing? And three or four times a week? Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of person would do such a thing? A reallllll a-hole!

      Delete
  3. Sadly there are many of these people. I love you, but... And many of them kick up a stink when the non a-hole leaves. Pffft.

    I was wondering about the email thing. Figured the new privacy policy bs caused it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to wonder why this woman stays with the speaker in this pome. She knows he's wise to what's going on. How could he not be? Is she that cruel, or maybe she just doesn't care at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to wonder indeed. Usually they don't care at all and just use it as a safe haven of sorts.

      Delete
    2. Well, it's hard to say what both sides of the story are. When I write something, whether a poem, a song, a story... Even though I'm the writer, and writers are "God" as far as creating the characters, situations, etc., I try to play fair with my readers and not base my own analysis of a storyline on something in my own mind but not contained in the work itself. In other words, I'd never say, "Well, she has issues with being faithful because of trauma suffered when she was nine..." because if I hadn't written that, how the hell would you know that? So the only side of the story we'll ever get is that of the guy who's "speaking."

      Delete
  5. What I liked most about this is how you heard that someone actually said this, became intrigued, and ran with the idea. It's what all good fiction/poetry is about.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this day, though, over twenty-five years later, I still wonder about the real-life situation that inspired my "pome."

      Delete
  6. Hmm interesting take on ‘I love you, good-bye’
    We really know nothing about the guy. I wonder what her point of view would have been.

    I wonder what the cake represents and how well he took the message? I guess my wandering mind is curious.

    Why does this saying come to mind?

    ‘You can’t have your cake and eat it (too)”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my long reply to Pat, above, as far as the woman's side of the story. We'll never know.

      Yeah, I'd really like to know the real story behind that true incident.

      Delete
    2. Silver

      Have you decided on poems or comics for next week? I have enjoyed the poem segments you have shared but, I am a poet at heart.

      Why do I want to alway say?

      Hi Ho Silver!

      Did you see the Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp? That was such a let down on so many levels.

      Delete
    3. Poems or comics? Haven't decided... yet.

      I am a big-time Lone Ranger fan from my youth -- more on that here -- although his horse Silver had absolutely nothing to do with my "Silver Fox" nickname on this site.

      I agree. That Johnny Depp movie was disappointing, but nowhere near as bad as that 1981 POS, The Legend of the Lone Ranger.

      Delete
    4. Haha I know the names are unrelated, it’s just word associated I guess.

      I hope you have a nice weekend!

      I guess I will see what next week brings?

      Delete
    5. Yep. This weekend I might do a new Short Shorts/David'Z RantZ post, just to write something new.

      Delete
  7. Saying it with cake! that takes the dear john/jane letter to a whole new level!

    I love it when some random stranger's words or image sparks off a poem/flash. In my head or someone else's.

    I'm a flailing victim of the email glitches. Snowed under by spam as well. If I weren't such a scaredy-cat I'd go off to Wordpress the amount of grief Google regularly conjures up for Blogspotters. I love you, goodbye! fits my relationship with the big G right down to a t. Maybe I want to send Google some cake?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glitch doesn't seem to have been fixed yet. I wasn't getting comments on my most recent post until I actually signed up for follow-ups.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...