Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Insect Asides, Part Nine ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post


From the late 1930s until 1984, almost all comic books were in color. Then came a black & white title from a couple of unknowns named Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. The comic, originally planned as a one-shot, had the unlikely title of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

You've probably heard of them. Even if you don't follow comics.

The Ninja Turtles were still very much in the comic fans' consciousness in early 1986, when this story appeared. I don't remember if it was solely my idea, or if the idea developed between Ken Carson and myself, but issue #102 of Insect Man teased the reader for several pages. It certainly seemed like we were going to have an unauthorized appearance by the TMNT in a story called "The Nexus." (And as far as "unauthorized" stuff goes, it didn't hurt that Nexus was the title of a popular comic series in the 1980s.)

Issue #102 may very well be my favorite of all the Insect Man issues I wrote. I've said two or three times in this overlong "Insect Asides" series that Ken Carson's art improved with every issue, so this issue was better than the one before it, which was better than the one before that, which was better than the one before that, etc. etc. etc.

Since losing his right arm (and thus, his livelihood as a commercial artist), Greg Nile has let himself go to seed, but the ringing of a phone with a rotary dial brings a call that reminds Greg he has an appointment of sorts.

Some quick notes: Greg Nile and his lovely wife Denise lived at 409 Wilson Avenue in Cirrus City,
Massachusetts. "409" was a Beach Boys song written by Brian Wilson, Mike Love, and Gary Usher.
I don't recall why I picked "Calico Circle" for the Masons' street address, but "714" was the badge
number of Dragnet's Sgt. Joe Friday. "Hava Beer and "Hack Cigarettes" were Ken Carson's creations.

Rex "Insect Man" Mason shows up at his parents' home, and the four silhouettes are shown again. But Rex is not the one they are waiting for, or so the caption tells us.

And I can't remember why Ken and I decided Rex should start growing a moustache...

Isn't Ken's rendition of Rex Nile's 1965 Mustang gorgeous?

Rex's parents are named Richard and Betty. I named them after two characters I loved when I was at the learning-to-read age, Dick "Robin" Grayson, Batman's sidekick, and Betty Kane, the "Bat-Girl" introduced in 1961's Batman #139. Betty was (temporarily) removed from continuity by the time Barbara "Batgirl" Gordon arrived in 1966 (in Detective Comics #359, cover-dated January 1967)

The 1961 Bat-Girl and the 1966 Batgirl!

Scythe is copyright © Holly Basiner and Frank Hunt, remember? But Ken and I really loved using her!


Five? Five?!? Oh, crap, looks like these aren't the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after all! Then... Who are they?


Officially, the five ninjas shown above were called the "Baby-Faced Ninjas," but the behind-the-scenes name that Ken and I used was the "Cabbage Patch Ninjas," thanks to the Cabbage Patch Kids craze of the 1980s. IIRC, it was Ken's idea to model their outfits on Shang-Chi (from Marvel's Master of Kung-Fu series), the Green Hornet's partner Kato, Marvel's Elektra, and the yin-yang symbol.



Gotta love this Ken Carson touch!

Again, the exact reason fails me, but I think Ken and I were trying to permanently
get rid of Insect Man's wrist bands. But later artists ignored that. And as for
"David M. Lynch, Script & Layouts"? Layouts? Me? I don't even remember doing those! 

The next two issues were slated to contain, at long last, the stand-alone stories that Chris Coleman and WW. Bird had contributed months ago. But as I revealed in an earlier chapter, I had become rather... territorial... about characters which were, in all fairness, not mine. So, how did I handle that?

Heh. See you next week...

Thanks for your time.

Insect Man, Insect Man's Weird Tales, and all related characters and titles are copyright © Paul B. Howley.
Scythe is copyright © Holly Basiner and Frank Hunt.

13 comments:

  1. I think nick-naming them Cabbage Patch ninjas is very apt!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the way Ken and I decided to present them.

      Delete
  2. haha the cabbage patch ninjas sure works indeed. A great way to play with the tmnt too. Was rather obsessed with them as a kid. Always good when one gets better than the last and than the last and etc. etc. too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the comic-reading world was obsessed with the turtles, even before they were adapted into more kid-friendly cartoons. When I worked at That's Entertainment, I got to meet Eastman & Laird, plus Jim Lawson and Ryan Brown, who worked for them. Five years later (or thereabouts) Lawson and Brown showed up at my short-lived comic shop. That was a fun day!

      Delete
  3. Ha I enjoyed this Silver, the subtle references to other trending characters. I swear they looked like ninja turtles to me (all 5 of them) wink wink...

    I saw that ring glowing.... i think the home was pretty trashed out but, this issues leaves me with more questions Silver?

    Ha asking a man with one hand to lend a hand...brilliant...

    So what happens next?

    I did enjoy your recounting of the story.

    Ps I read this quickly yesterday...a little late with the comment.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your questions will be answered by the end of the next two installments.

      Delete
    2. Have fun this weekend. Hey an opportunity to be Batman ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks. Going Friday (today) and Saturday. Leaving in an hour or two. I have about fifteen comic pros I want to meet and get autographs from.

      I'm not the typeto go in costume, especially at my age, haha! But speaking of Batman, a comic sartist (primarily an inker) who worked on Batman during the Silver Age will be there. He's ninety years old, the oldest Batman artist still alive!

      Delete
    4. Would I know you if I saw you Saturday?

      Delete
    5. Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, True, but today is the first day I've accessed the internet since Friday afternoon. When you say "would I know you," are you saying you actually work somewhere at Mohegan Sun? I did think you lived around there. Anyway, I don't know if you'd recognize me or not. I rarely post any photos of myself on my blog.

      Delete
  4. Looks like they FINALLY fixed the comment forwarding glitch. I received an email asking me to sign up for them, and when I left my last comment, I received TWO emails. So I no longer need to check off "Notify me!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post! Love the art. Also love your story behind the names "Richard" and "Betty." Btw Detective #359 was one of my cherished childhood possessions, I LOVED that particular issue. Babs was a role model for me, she made it seem so easy -- just create your own costume, make sure to exercise to get into fighting shape, and voila! Instant crimefighter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great if it were really that easy, wouldn't it?

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...