Thursday, March 8, 2018

They Might Be Giants! (1964) ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post!


Welcome to my Comical-Wednesday-on-a-Thursday post! Lots of reasons this one's a day late, mainly a snowstorm that made the libraries close early Wednesday and open late Thursday... but it's only a freakin' blog, so no crime's being committed by my falling behind.

Anyway...

I don't know about you, fellow babies, but I'm really enjoying this series!

My previous Comical Wednesday post, "They Might Be Giants," dealt with the year 1963. The last comic book scan shown was the cover of Giant Superman Annual #8, which was released at the very end of that year. 

And by the way, fellow babies, I'd like to point out that I am not attempting to list all of the annuals or giant-sized comics that I read back in my younger days! I'm only talking about the ones that made the greatest impressions on my li'l self back in the period from 1963-1968 or so.

One annual I recall enjoying immensely was the one-and-only Giant Superboy Annual, from back in the good old days when Superboy stories told "the adventures of Superman when he was a boy," as opposed to whatever the hell DC Comics is doing with the character nowadays.


It's kind of strange for me to note that, although I was (and still am) a fan of Batman, there aren't many issues of Giant Batman Annual or any other Batman "giants" that made a huge impression on me. As I explained last time, I was only starting to realize back then that all these stories that were being thrown at me were reprints, and not all current tales.

One annual that did catch my fancy was Giant Batman Annual #7, which reprinted the very first appearances of the original Batgirl, and a character I absolutely loved as a child, a pixieish little guy who called himself Bat-Mite. There were other assorted nutty stories in this annual, too.

You see, by the time I started reading the Batman titles (Batman, Detective Comics, and World's Finest) in the early 1960s, Batman's world had come a long, long way from the moody, down-to-earth detective stories of the late 1930s and early 1940s, and had gotten rather silly. In addition to Batman and Robin, the stories featured Batwoman, Batgirl, Bat-Mite, and (I swear) Ace, the Bat-Hound! (Ace, you see, was a German Shepherd who wore a mask to protect his secret identity!) Batman's adventures also included time-travel stories, stories where aliens appeared on Earth, or conversely, stories where Batman and Robin visited other planets...! This was the craziness that was the status quo when I was learning to read, but most of this nonsense was scuttled by the so-called "New Look" in 1964, and rightfully so.


The back cover of Giant Batman Annual #7 featured the so-called "Batman Family."


Interestingly enough, this "portrait" of the 1950s-1960s Batman Family resurfaced in the ultra-moody and realistic Batman: The Killing Joke in 1988.



Shortly after Giant Batman Annual #7 came a big surprise. After being advertised as the Giant Superman Annual #9 (shown at the top of this post), the comic actually hit the stands as 80 Page Giant #1, which only "featured"  Superman. (You can even tell that the 80 Page Giant logo was pasted over the previous form of DC's "Giant [Whatever]" logo!)


This began a brand new monthly series called 80 Page Giant, which, over time, featured Superman, Jimmy Olsen ("Superman's Pal"), Lois Lane ("Superman's Girl Friend") The Flash, Superboy, Batman, and many other stars. The first fifteen issues kept their own independent numbering. After that, the numbers were "shared" with individual issue numbers of various titles! (For instance, 80 Page Giant #G-16 was also Justice League of America #39, 80 Page Giant #G-17 was also Batman #176, etc.!)

In my "$1.56" post, I told how I was given a stack of Marvel Comics during early 1964, a collection which turned me on to a lot of titles I'd neither seen nor heard of before. That summer, Marvel released the second issue of Fantastic Four Annual. The entire issue featured stories concerning Doctor Doom, who was Darth Vader before Darth Vader was Darth Vader!

FF Annual #2 contained an all-new, expanded origin for Dr. Doom, a reprint of his first appearance from FF #5, and a terrific story called "The Final Victory of Dr. Doom!" Another of my all-time favorite annuals!


The summer of 1964 also saw the very first Amazing Spider-Man Annual! In this issue, Spidey fought "The Sinister Six," half a dozen of his deadliest foes, teamed up against him. Each battle Spider-Man fought with these nemeses included a spectacular single-panel shot drawn by the inimitable Steve Ditko. I've reproduced all six of these mind-blowing full-pagers below!








As a bonus feature, writer Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko supplied this three-page bit of craziness.


And yet another of -- Yeah, you guessed it! -- my all-time favorite annuals was the first Marvel Tales Annual! This one featured an incredible array of Marvel "firsts."
  • The first appearance and origin of the Amazing Spider-Man!
  • The first appearance and origin of the Incredible Hulk!
  • The first appearance of the original Ant-Man in costume, plus a brief reprint of when he first became Giant-Man!
  • The first appearance of the Mighty Thor!
  • Pages from the very first story of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos!
  • The first appearance and origin of Iron Man, plus a short sequence from the issue where he replaced his bulky gold iron suit with a more streamlined red and gold outfit!


And if all that wasn't enough -- although it would have been for me -- Marvel Tales Annual #1 also contained two pages of photos featuring the biggest names in the Marvel stable!



Of course, DC was still churning out their 80 Page Giant series. Issue #4, dated October, 1964, featured more early stories of The Flash.


To Be Continued, natch!

In our next installment, we take a look at the "giants" of... 1965! (But you probably saw that one coming, huh?)

And thanks for your time!

20 comments:

  1. That is neat how they put a bunch of origins in one. Okay, I never knew Batman had a dog. That is soooooooo lame. Not the dog part, but the mask part. Really? Who would ever think that makes sense? Take the collar off and poof, no identity. Baby Superman too? Geez, DC really were a bit umm wacky back in the day. Funny how they used it in the Killing Joke though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DC created Ace the Bat-Hound so Batman would have a dog like Superman had Krypto. In the first Bat-Hound story, the dog was owned by a friend of Bruce Wayne's. The owner had Bruce look after the pooch while he went on a vacation. The mutt had a star-shaped marking on his forehead. When Batman and Robin went on a case, the dog followed, and they figured that if anyone recognized the dog by that star, they'd realize Batman was Bruce! Hence the mask. Now, that makes perfect sense, right?

      Superbaby stories popped up quite a bit in the 1950s and 1960s. The little brat used to speak DC's version of toddler talk, such as "Poor man! Him locked up like bird in a cage. Me free him!" but we all know that no kid on the planet ever talked like that.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is what I called an action packed post. I didn't know there was a Batwoman and Batgirl? I had to smile at the photo of the Batman Family. haha

    I wonder how long it takes you to compose a post like this? Thank you for all your efforts.

    The weather in the northeast certainly has been snowy. I want it all to melt and bask in sunshine. If only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The posts with a lot of text can take me hours to compose. The ones that have relatively little text, but many illustrations... can take me hours to compose! (Takes a long time to scan things at home, and/or find and download all the images I need from the 'net.

      I'm not worried that the recent snowfall will be with us for long. And I must admit, the snow sticking to branches, power lines, road signs, etc. actually looked very pretty around nine a.m., but by eleven a lot of it had fallen off already.

      Delete
    2. I have to agree it was very beautiful this morning. It looked like a picture perfect postcard. Do they even make those anymore? I didn't, however, enjoy having no power for 6 hours last night. It was cold and I am still recovering.

      Delete
    3. They still make postcards, but I'm sure sales have dropped quite a bit. Now, if you want people to see where you're vacationing, you can snap a photo on your cell phone and send it to them.

      Delete
    4. Well, I guess you are right it so much easier to just snap a photo and send it out pronto on your cell phone.

      My mom found an old family scrapbook filled with postcards. Apparently, there were two lovers who wrote to each other. She let me take it home. I stayed up all night to read their story, their thoughts, their poetry. It was like stepping back in time. It was so romantic. I wanted to keep that scrapbook, but my mother took it back and sold it. Yes, sold it!!! I was devastated.

      What does this have to do with comics? Nothing, I guess, I am just off on a tangent.

      Delete
    5. Comic-related or not, that was still a cool story! Speaking of stories, I just left the following comment on my friend Roy's blog: My Uncle Al had a cottage in Sagamore, Massachusetts, near the Cape Cod Canal -- that sounds pretty impressive, but it was really just a shack -- and behind it was a cemetery. One tall stone in particular told an entire story about a ship's captain who was lost at sea, and how his wife never gave up hoping he'd return in spite of how many years passed, etc., etc. Quite interesting. One could even say entertaining.

      Delete
    6. That is actually a fascinating story. I wonder what happened to the captain? Ah, true love lived in her heart. I think I'd like to know more about their story. Now, this makes me think of lighthouses. Have you ever been to Cape May? There is a haunted lighthouse there and let's just say I had a unique encounter while visiting there a few years ago.

      Sorry, my mind is wandering as it often does.

      Delete
    7. Never been to Cape May. A haunted lighthouse? Intriguing...

      Oh, and you never need apologize if and when your mind wanders. I often go off on tangents in my posts!

      Delete
  3. If Superman retired?! Eek!! that would traumatise a child, no? :)

    It's always such a pleasure to dip into books that one loved beyond measure as a child...I have to say I'm blown away by the amount of research that your Wednesday posts must involve. Nostalgia needs a lot of dedicated work - kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, most of the comic-related stuff comes right out of my head! Usually, I only have to look up tiny details, like "Did that series start in 1946 or 1948?" I can rattle off comic book and comic strip trivia (not to mention several other kinds of pop culture trivia, literature info, etc.) like some people can discuss sports stats.

      Delete
  4. These are great, even for someone like me who is fairly ignorant of the comic book realm. A few things I liked most about this one: the "how Superboy learned to fly"—every kid's dream! Putting balloons on your arms and "flying." Love it. And the dog with the mask in the Batman family is hilarious. I wonder if his secret identity was only secret to humans, or if dogs couldn't figure him out either . . . "He smells the same as Fido, but that mask . . . I just dunno, Spot."

    I'd like to read the one that had all the "what-if" Superman adventures. Indeed, what if he retired?

    Looking forward to the 1965 version, since that's my birth year. So right there is already one giant adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little scenario about dogs reacting to a masked canine was very amusing!

    Hm. You're the second commenter mentioning the story about Superman's "retirement." IIRC, it was entitled "The Old Man of Metropolis." I don't even remember if I still have a copy of 80 Page Giant #1, but if I do, I might just do a special post devoted to that story, as I did for the Superboy meets Bonnie and Clyde story and the shrunken head story!

    There will probably be three more of these "giant" posts. 1965 and 1966 will each get their own, and I'll probably wrap things up with a single post devoted to the years 1967-1969. Thanks for staying with me!



    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember ever seeing any giant annuals. Yesterday I saw a Moby Dick sweatshirt and thought of you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, Janie, did you ever read my lengthy post about Moby Dick, which appeared here after being published in a local newspaper? It was one of the first posts I put on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this post, Silver, what a great topic--kudos to you!

    I've always admired how Stan and Jack devoted the first two FF Annuals to fleshing out antagonists such as Doom here (as you pointed out)...and a year earlier, with Subby in FF Annual #1.

    And I guess Infantino liked his Giant #4 cover so much he used that same motif again for 1967's Flash #169 aka G-#34 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I never noticed the similarity between those two covers. But then again, recognizing similarities like that is your specialty, right? I've seen the cover to Flash #169 several times over the years, but never owned or read it. It came out during a lull in my comic buying.

      You're right about Stan and Jack "fleshing out antagonists" (good distinction there, since Subby wasn't really an outright villain). Dr. Doom appeared in what, six FF issues -- and one issue of Spider-Man! -- before the second FF annual came out, and Namor appeared almost as many times in the first thirty-three or so issues of FF, plus he fought the Torch in Strange Tales #107... and don't even get me started on how Magneto appeared in almost every issue of the first eleven X-Men comics! SHEESH!

      Delete
  9. I laughed at the cartoon showing how Superboy learned to fly.

    It's always enjoyable at your Lair, Silver Fox.
    Thanks for the fun, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have fun here. So do I, usually, which is kinda why I blog in the first place... except once in a while when I get self-righteous or indignant about something.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...