Saturday, March 31, 2018

Frank Avruch, 1928-2018, R.I.P.


It's been quite a while -- two months, actually -- since I've done one of my celebrity tribute posts. There are several reasons for that, although it's certainly not because no one of note has passed away during that time...

But I digress.

Boston television personality Frank Avruch recently died after a long battle with heart disease. He was eighty-nine.

Avruch was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, of Russian-Jewish background, and was closely associated with Boston's Channel 5, which was WHDH-TV until March 18th, 1972, and WCVB-TV after that.

A publicity photo of Frank Avruch in the 1960s.

(By the way, if you're unfamiliar with Frank, his last name is pronounced "Av-ROOSH." The name is a Hebrew name and was originally pronounced with that "ch" that sounds like someone is clearing their throat. He "softened" it when he decided to use his real name rather than "Frank Stevens," which he used at the very start of his broadcasting career.)

Frank Avruch's passing has made the national news due to his 1959-1970 stint as TV's Bozo the Clown. Bozo was a franchised character, meaning that many different TV stations across the country had their own actors playing Bozo, but Larry Harmon, who owned the rights to the character from 1956 on, syndicated the Boston Bozo program to TV markets which didn't have their own Bozo. Avruch also became UNICEF's international "ambassador" during the 1960s.





(By the way, if you ever hear or read that Larry Harmon created the character of Bozo -- a claim that Harmon himself often made -- that's just not true. Bozo was created in the 1940s by Alan W. Livingston for Capitol Records. Bozo was originally portrayed by Pinto Colvig, known for voicing Disney characters such as Pluto and Goofy, among others.)

Pinto Colvig as Bozo in 1948.

I've seen the following photo all over the internet, but I first saw it in a book called Four All the Years, which was released in 1983 to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Channel 4, WBZ-TV, a Boston television station which was an NBC affiliate during my youth. The caption for the photo erroneously states that Frank Avruch portrayed Bozo on Channel 4, but as you now know, he worked for Channel 5!


(For that matter, the inclusion of this photo in Four All the Years implies that all of the above Boston kiddie show hosts worked for Channel 4. Roughly half of them did. The rest worked for Channels 5 and 7. And by the way, to my knowledge, at least six of the eight people are no longer with us.)


 Frank Avruch at eighty years old.

Frank at left, Rex Trailer at right. Unfortunately, I can't identify the guy in the middle!

Growing up in the 1960s, roughly fifty miles from Boston, I watched Bozo's program as a child, of course, although I must admit that I had plenty of other interests and wasn't a huge fan of the clown.

I only became aware of Frank Avruch the man when he appeared in the early 1970s, sans makeup of course, as the host of WCVB-TV's late night program, The Great Entertainment, a weekend showcase for (mostly) film classics from the 1930s and 1940s. For seventeen years, Avruch served as sort of a local version of TCM's Robert Osborne. Before and after the film, Frank would provide all sorts of details about the film's cast, crew, and/or production history.

Every so often, for whatever reason, WCVB's The Great Entertainment would show a more recent, less-than-stellar film, like 1982's Zapped! starring such cinematic luminaries as Scott Baio and Willie Aames. On such occasions, Avruch was notably absent, to my amusement and delight.

I never saw anyone at WCVB-TV mention Frank's role of Bozo the Clown at the time. In fact, it wasn't until several years later that someone told me in conversation that he'd played that part years earlier. Surprised the hell out of me.

Frank also appeared on other WHDH-TV/WCVB-TV productions over the years, like Dateline: Boston, Good Day!, and the local segments of the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association's Labor Day Telethons.

So, you may or may not encounter an article or two or three about Frank, and if so, it'll no doubt focus on his Bozo work. And most of those articles will actually show Bozo photos with Frank Avruch himself in the role! (It's so hard to tell under all that makeup, and there are a lot of former Bozo actors out there!)

But whenever I think of Frank, it won't be of him portraying Bozo as much as "portraying" himself in his later appearances.

Having said that, I'm now going to relate a little personal tale involving myself and Frank Avruch, which does involve his role as Bozo.

A while back -- "a while" being defined as several years ago -- I discovered that Frank was selling items on eBay under the username "greatent." I discovered this relatively late, as I learned only recently. Evidently, he'd had an attic full of memorabilia which sold on eBay.

Anyway, I bid on not one, but two original postcards featuring Bozo, and won both, shown below. Each postcard featured the standard stamped signature of "Bozo" which were printed on such promotional items, but I immediately received an email from Frank, asking me how he should personally inscribe each card. I wrote back, answering him, as well as asking him if he would allow me to interview him sometime in the near future.



On a Post-It note (shown below) attached to one of the two postcards I received, he replied that he would be happy to be interviewed, and for me to contact him whenever I was ready.


As well as the above Post-It, I still have Frank's email and my reply, dated... 2006!!!

Need I tell you that "The Great Procrastinator," namely myself, never got around to setting up the interview?

Dummy.

Thanks for your time.

20 comments:

  1. That sucks that you never got around to doing the interview. So is that where Bozo comes from when people call others that? Not that it's used much any more.

    And hey, at least they showed Zapped and not Zapped Again lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The etymology of the word "bozo" is uncertain, but it actually pre-dated the character by twenty years or more.

      Good Lord! There was a Zapped Again?!?

      Delete
    2. Oh, never knew that.

      Yep, Zapped Again came due. Also a remake on Disney channel that either is coming or already came.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, right. Out of all the classic films that deserve a remake...

      Delete
  2. Wow you knew this guy David, sounds like a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like a real gentleman - such a pity you didn't get that interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a cool story of your personal interaction with him! The picture of the supposed Channel 4 group makes me laugh . . . goes to show how accurate any write-ups are at any given point in history. Glad you knew to research the real thing. So sorry the interview with Frank never happened, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to brag, but no research concerning that photo was necessary. I used to watch all of those folks as a child. I didn't really have any neighbors, and my sister was a whole six years older than I, so that's why I read so much and watched so much TV. (I spent a lot of time in the fields behind my house, too, letting my creativity run free. When my father wanted me to go out and play, he would say "Why don't you go outside and play with yourself?" which was about as off-color as he ever got in my presence.)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, he was a character. Very popular. When he died, eight million people showed up at the two wakes, or so it seemed. (I still have the sign-in book from the funeral parlor, and it has a lot of names in it!)

      My dad didn't joke around very much, but when he did, it was usually something strange.

      Once, my friend Steven was visiting. Steven came into the house wearing a baseball cap. My father pointed to a spot on the kitchen wall and told Steven he could hang his cap there. Steven walked to the wall, but didn't see any kind of hook on which to hang the cap. He looked at my father in confusion. My father kept pointing at a specific spot on the wall, politely insisting that Steven could hang the cap there. Still looking confused, Steven finally put his cap against the wall and let it go. Of course, it fell to the floor.

      Delete
    3. That's hilarious! I'm guessing Steven was like, "Well, it's David's dad, so I'd better just do what he says . . ."

      Steven, Steven . . . did you mention him in a previous post? Something about a costume comes to mind, and it's niggling at me.

      Delete
    4. Even I had to think for a minute to recall the "other Steven" you were referring to. I thought "Costume, costume... Let's see, I showed a photo of myself in a homemade superhero outfit from my early years, and I wrote about the elf costume my mom made for me and my classmate, Steven-- THAT'S IT!" It was a different Steven. My mom outfitted both of us for a classroom performance of "The Elves and the Shoemaker!" https://silverfoxlair.blogspot.com/2017/11/my-first-starring-role-edited-and.html

      Delete
    5. Just tracked down the "other Steven" online. He now lives in Florida, and works for a newspaper. I sent him an email with a link to that post about "The Elves and the Shoemaker." Wonder if he'll respond.

      Delete
  5. Let's look at the glass as half full and recognize how great it is that you won the two postcards on eBay and received a handwritten note from Frank Avruch too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right! I'll feel a lot better if I think of it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silver Fox,
    My name is Tom I was a close friend of Frank's.
    I would like to talk.
    Please text me at;
    Two, two, four
    Seven, six, zero, 3 seven, 4 seven.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Memorable Bozo Moment:
    Tuesday, November 9, 1965 (approx. 5:20pm)

    WHDH-TV 5, Boston:
    Bozo: “Hey, who turned out the lights???”

    Weymouth, MA (2 seconds later): The Great Black-Out of 1965

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frank will be misted rest I'm piece

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...