Thursday, March 21, 2019

Tom K. Ryan, 1926-2019, R.I.P.


Today's post will be remarkably short, considering my usual wordiness and tendency to tell you all sorts of trivia about a celebrity and his or her work.

Cartoonist Tom K. Ryan, known for the 1965-2007 strip Tumbleweeds, has passed away.

I know very little about the man himself. I remember encountering Tumbleweeds in the newspaper, and buying a handful of the paperback books collecting the strip. (I bought tons of those in the late sixties and early seventies, featuring every thing from Peanuts, to B.C., to Blondie...)


Tumbleweeds' cast of characters was incredibly varied and, as befits a humor strip, hilarious. Here are just a few examples, and that's going to do it for this entry!






All I can add to that is... it gave me many hours of enjoyment!

Thanks for your time.

17 comments:

  1. Ahh, I'd forgotten all about Tumbleweeds! It used to be a regular feature in the newspaper where I grew up. I always enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I know all sorts of trivia about comic books and comic strips, but in this case, the work just has to speak for itself. And it did!

      Delete
  2. Nope, never heard of Tumbleweeds. Maybe they didn't make it across the pond.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. One I never heard of, or at least don't recall. But no need to beat a dead horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always sad to read these RIP segments. I don't know much about the artist but, I did get a chuckle out of the cartoons strips you provided.

    I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was okay. Kinda sick Sunday. How was yours?

      Delete
    2. Oka, I guess, thanks for asking. I hope you are feeling a bit better.

      At least it’s sunny today. I love sunny days.

      Have you been to Old Mystic Seaport?

      Delete
    3. I am surprised you haven't been there as Mystic Seaport was once a big whaling town.

      Delete
    4. Right, but so was Nantucket, and I've never been there, either!

      Delete
  5. I'm tempted to call the Hotline # above, but I'm also scared to. The fear wins out.

    Very nice tribute, Silver. The non-romance romance between them looks like any of a number I've experienced.
    Rest in Peace, Tom K. Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to discuss your dating history and mine at length sometime! :D

      Delete
  6. He always made me laugh or think. Sometimes both. I think my favorite character name was Bucolic Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what my favorite character name was. My favorite character may have been Snake Eyes.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...