Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Story Behind the Photo!


Since I re-joined Facebook a couple of months ago, I've been having a blast reminiscing and posting photos and articles of my various writing projects, childhood snapshots, and articles and/or photos of bands for which I was the lead singer. Said bands would include Shudr ("shudder") and Viper.

But I must give thanks to my good friend, Skip Simpson, who recently jogged my memory by sending me this shot of myself with the members of another of my former bands. They were calling themselves "Smile" when we all got together, but later changed their name to something less memorable.

At first I shared the lead singing chores with another guy, named Teddie... or Eddie... or something... Whatever. Anyway, I must admit that he wasn't a bad singer himself. Nice guy, not bad looking, even with that overbite of his. Teddie fancied himself a songwriter, but frankly, I think the group's drummer, Rodney... no wait, Roger... was the best writer in the group. My favorite tune that we did was one he called "I'm in Love with My Car," that really kicked butt!

So, why did I quit the band? Several reasons, really. For one thing, it just seemed like we weren't really going anywhere. Plus I had some reservations about Teddie's concert performances. And please keep in mind that these were the 1970s when I say that I used to warn Teddie that his outlandish costumes and stage presence might make the public think he might be gay. (A much bigger issue then than now, thankfully.) Teddie's only reply was "Don't be ridiculous. Look at the crazy things Elton John wears, and nobody ever says that he's gay."

I also have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with the direction the band seemed to be taking musically. Teddie came up with a song called "Hungarian Rhapsody," a title he reluctantly changed after I reminded him of Franz Liszt's series of compositions with that very same name, written in the nineteenth century.

The band and I parted on good terms, I'm happy to say.

After I quit, I only heard from the guys one more time, in 1985, I believe. They wanted me to rejoin them for some one-shot charity gig. I think its name was "Limeade." I begged off, saying these charity events go largely unnoticed. Not only that, but they wanted to perform a song called "Radio Ga Ga," one written by Roger on what I assumed was a bad day. I felt pretty sure of myself when I warned them that nobody would be interested in hearing a song with such silly lyrics. I mean, when I say "gaga," do you think of anyone or anything even remotely involved with pop music? Of course not.

That's all I have to say, I guess. I'm glad I finally got the chance to set the record straight. Pun intended.

Thanks again to Skip Simpson, and thanks for your time.

P.S. ~~ Sad to say, but once again I'm going to stop following the blogs of people who never read and comment on my blog. But don't you worry, cuz if you're reading this, your blog isn't one of the ones I'll be quitting!

31 comments:

  1. I dont had idea you are in Facebook again! Im too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! But why can't I send you a "friend request?"

      Delete
    2. I know. I found you. But there's a "follow" button but not a friend request button.

      Delete
    3. I dont how idea why, follow me and I will find you :)

      Delete
    4. Ooooh, I like the sound of that!!! Oh, wait, you mean on Facebook? *blushes*

      Delete
  2. My pleasure on the picture, and thanks for that "bit 'o Irish Blarney" just in time for St. Paddy's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, yes, I remember when "blarney" was one of the few words we had which was a softer way of saying "bullshit." Now, of course, we also have "alternative facts."

      Delete
  3. What name could be less memorable than smile?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite the photo Silver! You certainly stand out as the focal point.

    If I didn’t know better i’d say there were similarities to Queen. Hey synchronicity at play.

    Sounds like you are enjoying FB...

    Be well...



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similarities? Well, yeah, maybe a few...

      Delete
    2. Have a nice weekend Silver!

      Now about those drinks?

      Delete
    3. Well, Did you watch Bohemian Rhapsody? Did you like it or not? I watched it and thought it was very entertaining.

      Delete
    4. I took my sister -- a biiiiig Queen fan -- to see Bohemian Rhapsody when it came out. She and I both loved it.

      As far as the drinks... well, you can email me...!

      Delete
  5. Don't trust anyone who wants you to sing... "Ga Ga". Hungarian Rhapsody sounds like a song I'd like to hear, though. Does it come with goulash? It's had better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd recognize "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" if you heard it, Blue. It's hard to know the titles of so many classical pieces because so few have lyrics. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeOUTRy2es&list=RDLhInwkq4nAw&index=23

      Delete
  6. Ha ha - great post - and what a clever picture!!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The more you know about Queen, the more you'd enjoy the article, I figured. My sister, big Queen fanatic, loved it.

      Delete
  7. Ga ga and pop music....like Lady Gaga? :)

    The pictures is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to wear my maga hat when I come over here to comment....just to even out all the trash on your sidebar!

      Delete
    2. Well, yes, the whole "gaga" thing was supposed to refer to Lady Gaga as well as the Queen song, "Radio Ga Ga."

      And you can wear (or not wear) anything you like when you visit my blog. But if you want to talk trash, how about the trash-talking your boy DJT's done in the past about the late Senator McCain?

      Delete
  8. Hungarian Rhapsody (the Liszt version, especially No. 2) always reminds me of Tom and Jerry cartoons. My dad loved classical music and the Liszt album he owned with Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 1 & 2 was one of my favorites. Only after becoming an adult did I realize I'd been listening to it in cartoons for years, haha.

    Now Bohemian Rhapsody . . . that's still one I have to listen to from beginning to end, even if I have to sit in the car for a few extra moments to let it finish on the radio.

    Still laughing at the Elton John comment . . .

    Great post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of kids grew up hearing classical music, used in various cartoons as background music.

      Delete
  9. At least old Farcebook is good for something with memory lane. Yeah, ga ga reminds me more of poop machines than music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing babies referred to as poop machines!

      Delete
  10. Teddie with the overbite singing Hungarian Rhapsody. Yeah, a band like that will never make it. Sure glad you quit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. There will be. A very short one, a bit late. I've been busy.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...