Saturday, November 3, 2018

Perception Is Relative... Innit?



The above cartoon came from MAD Magazine #68, which was cover-dated January, 1962... which means that it actually hit the newsstands in late 1961. I don't think I was actually reading MAD yet, so I must have seen that cartoon for the first time somewhat later, when I encountered an old copy of #68.

It's so true. Why would a child want an actual toy fire engine (no matter how big) when he could have that box?  As the cartoon shows, the box could indeed be a fire engine, but it could also be a fort, a car, a tank, a submarine, an airplane...

The following two photos are of a toy known as jacks. In my entire life, I never once played that particular game. But I had some when I was a kid (probably hand-me-downs from my older sister), and I found a use for them in my playtime.



You see jacks. This is what I saw, back when  I was five, or six, or seven...


Next, we have one of the many styles of curtain rods that exist. This is the style my mother always bought.



Those, too, could be anything I wanted them to be. One of them could be a rifle, a blind man's cane, or even (if held aloft the correct way) a submarine's periscope!

Next? How about those beverage holders you stick into your yard? There are several styles. The ones my family had when I was a child resembled these:


This is how the members of my family used them.


But myself? I looked at the "swirly" part and saw something more along the lines of this:


Which means that I ran around the yard pretending I had one of these:


And last, but certainly not least, here's a toy canoe made by Marx in the 1950s and 1960s. I had one just like this. But I didn't use it as a canoe, of course.


Y'see, around the age of five or so, I had a real "thing" for cows and bulls!


In fact, one day my family was riding somewhere in my home state of Massachusetts, and we saw this 3D billboard!


Predictably, I was fascinated! My mom even had an enlargement made of the above photo, which has been in my possession for well over fifty years (hence its somewhat rough shape).

For many years, I had absolutely no idea where this photo was taken. Not until relatively recently, that is, when I Googled the partial information shown on the first photo, and... Well, maybe I'll tell you about that some other time!

So, you may be wondering what the hell that yellow toy canoe had to do with cows and bulls? Well, at the tender age of four or five, I convinced my mother to sew that canoe onto (of all things) a blue-and-white checkered cap. Not a so-called baseball cap, but something that looked more like this:


Hey, it was the most appropriate hat I owned for my idea! That, idea, of course, was to wear the cap with the sewn-on canoe, because to my four-year-old mind, it was the closest thing I could get to something that would let me pretend to be a bull!

So, you see, after all those inspirations during my formative years, writing my own stories years later was a walk in the park!

Oh, by the way, I should probably mention that I didn't have to use my imagination to obtain any of my toys. (Well, maybe the bull headgear...) My parents bought me almost every toy I ever desired. No, I wanted to exercise my imagination. Just sayin'.

Thanks for your time.

15 comments:

  1. That was sure an interesting way to become a bull haha The cartoon is so true. I know one guy that gave his two year old grandson a box with a hole cut in it for christmas. Everyone else gave toys, this and that, and he went straight for the box with the hole in it. I always used things as swords. Anything that could pass worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guy actually gave his grandson a box as the actual present? Brilliant!

      Delete
  2. Ha - I knew that canoe would somehow become horns. I have always had an active imagination. A big box became a castle for me. I actually cut out a drawbridge from a big refrigerator box once. haha

    A fun post Silver...

    It is always good to exercise your imagination, my inner child still comes out to play in the realm of make believe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the castle and drawbridge bit!

      I first learned about old-time radio shows from the '20s through the '50s when I was about nine or ten, from listening to Bill Cosby's "Wonderfulness" LP. I got hold of a large appliance box (not from a refrigerator, though, something slightly smaller). I cut a rectangular hole in it and put a small window screen in the hole. Then I got inside and for quite a while, made my oh-so-indulgent mom sit in the living room while I "entertained" her with my own made-up radio programs.

      Delete
    2. Ha - I love that story Silver. Your mom was wonderful to sit and listen to your programs. Hopefully, you didn't pull an Orson Wells - The War of the Worlds which was in fact a masterful illusion of realism that aired. I wonder if people really did panic over that program?

      I did enjoy my castle and I was sad when the box had to go.

      Delete
    3. Yes, True, people did panic, but exactly how many panicked is open to conjecture. The Mercury Theatre radio program didn't have a very large audience. Everyone who did hear the broadcast didn't believe it was real. Quite a few called the police, their local radio stations, etc. to ask what was really going on, etc. Once the media got hold of the story, the thing was blown all out of proportion, which is why legends today tell of a nationwide panic, attempted (or realized) suicides, and other stuff like that.

      As it happens, I am a big fan of Orson Welles. Just ask my cat, Orson.

      Your Wells/Welles entries made me smile. I've found many interesting items on eBay that others missed because I occasionally search for "Orson Welles" and then "Orson Wells." A lot of eBay dealers and customers spell things incorrectly. In fact, remember my $177 KFC pressure cooker? I found three that had sold before I posted mine, one for $175, one for $177, and one for only $35, because its seller had misspelled "pressure cooker" as "presure cooker" in his eBay ad... so a lot of potential buyers missed it!

      Delete
    4. Haha Did you name your car after Orson Welles?

      Interesting comment Silver! Ha the media has a way of heightening a story line.

      Delete
    5. My cat was definitely named after Orson Welles.

      Delete
  3. I love your imagination. The examples you showed are such great little-kid things—and it's funny how kids who have the store-bought "real" items don't seem to like or appreciate them nearly as much as their buddy's homemade ones, because the homemade ones are unique. My father-in-law has always been a great one for seeing shapes and not the object's intended function. In his younger days, he made wooden block cars for the grandkids that had wheels made out of checkers from an old checker game lying around that'd lost its board, LEGO vehicles that used a treasure chest for the engine because "it was the right shape" and more. Our kids have always had great imaginations, and I'm so thankful they didn't hesistate to exercise them.

    I had more than one set of jacks (and we actually played with them often) and we always thought they looked like tiny cannons, too, but the Barbie dolls were too big to use them like that. We did push bent straight pins into Barbie's ears, though to give her earrings, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I wasn't the only one who saw cannons! I feel totally vindicated.

      And the straight pin/earrings thing really knocked me for a loop. When Cabbage Patch Kids were popular, my second fiancee and I bought one for her daughter Jennifer, and she drove two tiny nails into the doll's ears for exactly the same reason!

      Delete
    2. My mother sewed, so she always had the straight pins with the colorful balls at the end. Perfect Barbie earrings. We also used to sew our own Barbie dresses with leftover fabric scraps from my mom's projects—Barbie pretty much always looked like she was wearing a burlap sack with head & sleeve holes cut out, but we were okay with it.

      Delete
    3. I remember a lot of hippies in the late 1960s and early 1970s taking a large piece of fabric, cutting a big hole in the center, and voila! Instant poncho!

      Delete
  4. I love the billboard! It's so cool, you big bull (sh*****).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found plenty of references to that dairy, but not one photo online of that billboard. Well, now there is one!

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...