Sunday, July 29, 2018

Keeping It Short ~~ A "Short Shorts" AND a "David'Z RantZ" Post!


Today, fellow babies, we have a short post where every item falls into the categories of "Short Shorts" and "David'Z RantZ!" If anybody will appreciate these, I'm betting that Lynda will... if she sees today's post.

1. The photo at the top is of the Friendly's Restaurant in my town of Webster. Not sure when the photo was taken, but it doesn't matter. Anyway, I was in there to have breakfast about a week ago, and two women sat at a booth nearby. One of them was a) one of those people who wouldn't shut up, and b) one of those people who speak loudly enough so that I wanted to say "Are you talking to me? Cuz I can hear you just as well as the lady you're sitting with!" Boy, was I glad every time she took a mouthful of food!

*  *  *  *  *


2. Why do some drivers pull all the way over to the right side of the lane they're driving in, just before they make a left turn? Do these idiots think they have an eighteen-wheeler, or what?

*  *  *  *  *


3. For quite some time now -- like, maybe thirty years -- I've seen a very disturbing "fashion," if one may even call it that. Guys of all ages wearing winter coats and short pants, and quite often, the ensemble is topped with a baseball cap. If it's cold enough to wear a winter coat, it's too effin' cold for short pants, okay? One good updraft on a thirty degree day, and dude, your sex life will come to a screeching halt!

I guess they're making a "statement," that statement being, of course, "I'm a freakin' moron!"

*  *  *  *  *

  
4. And while I'm ranting about short pants, why on earth do so-called "shorts" seem to be getting longer and longer as time goes by? Men's shorts nowadays are practically capri pants!


*  *  *  *  *


5. I've been dropping a few blogs from my blogroll lately. These are blogs -- and there haven't been many -- that are written by people who never visit my blog anymore. I mean, never. Some people visit once in a while. Some visit regularly and rarely comment. Some only visit when I comment on their blogs, which means they only end up visiting my blog whenever they post. All of that is fine by me. I don't demand you read every post of mine! I don't demand that you comment on every post, either. (Not that I could enforce either "demand.") No, I'm talking about those who haven't shown up in months, regardless of the fact that I've been reading their blogs regularly, and commenting more often than not. Let's put it this way: If you're reading this now, I doubt I'll ever delete your blog. So if you're thinking, "Gee, does he mean me?" Well... no.

*  *  *  *  *

These are Cardassians, not Kardashians! There is a difference... I suppose.

6. I know I'm getting older. Whenever I encounter a magazine like Us Weekly, People, or In Touch Weekly, I'm amazed by the various celebrities that I've never even heard of! Their numbers are increasing daily, it seems. And there are many whom I have heard of, but I'm not sure what television series they've been on, or what songs they've released, or what movies they've made... To list just two examples, I know the names Katy Perry and Taylor Swift, but I can't name a single song that either has ever sung. Okay, okay, that's not quite true. I am aware that Katy Perry released a song called "I Kissed a Girl," but I only know that because the song generated some controversy.

I do know who Bruno Mars is, if that means anything to you.

And by the way, I also know of the Kardashians, and their two half-sisters, Kendall and Kylie Jenner. I just don't care.

*  *  *  *  *

Thanks for your time.

15 comments:

  1. Don't care is the one thing everyone should wise up and do with those bunch of idiots. The whole shorts in winter thing is sooo dumb. Most kids do it to show their cool and can withstand the cold. Pffft. And yeah they are getting so long that you may as well wear pants. Hopefully she wasn't a loud chewer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she didn't chew anywhere near as loud as she talked, thankfully!

      Delete
  2. I think the shorts-in-Winter thing is supposed to prove superior masculinity. It's huge here in Central PA, although I notice it's done mostly by guys who a fairly overweight; the extra insulation probably helps.

    Re: Kardashians vs. Cardassians - Kardashians are merely annoying. Cardassians, on the other hand, are lethal, although I think their time under Dominion rule may have chastened them a good deal. Yes, I'm a huge DS9 fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, in this case, I'd prefer the "lethal" guys to the "merely annoying" ones.

      My sister used to be a biiiig Star Trek fan, so I watched a lot of ST:TNG and DS9 in the '90s. (I had a celebrity crush on Terry Farrell!) She was past that stage by the time Voyager began.

      Delete
  3. Loud talking people are very annoying. And if they are on their cell phone, that's is even worse!

    Bruno Mars....love his songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very impressed by his performance at the Super Bowl halftime show in 2014.

      Delete
  4. Hi Silver

    I have seen kids waiting for the bus in the winter wearing their shorts. Here they don’t wear coats they wear hoodies. I guess, they are taking cool to a new level as cool is now freeze.

    Your Friendly’s looks a lot different than the one here. I went there not too long ago for a small dish of ice cream. What’s your favorite Silver?

    I tried to leave a message but, it disappeared :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pistachio's my favorite, and has been since I was four or five years old. I don't have it often, though. But whenever I do, I'm at Friendly's.

      Delete
    2. Sounds Ike a good choice Silver, I like Mint Chocolate Chip or Butter Pecan.

      Delete
    3. When I was a teen, Friendly (it wasn't Friendly's then) had a drink made with watermelon sherbet. I was addicted to that, but it was a limited-time-only thing, IIRC.

      And speaking of sherbet, why do so many people pronounce it "sherbert?" There's no second R there.

      Delete
    4. That is a good question Silver, I wonder if it has anything to do with demographics?

      Delete
    5. I don't know. I've heard people my age and older say it (like the characters played by Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds in 1996's Mother).

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THESE SO MUCH! I would be right there beside you, torch and pitchfork, if the need arose. You know my taste so well, lol.

    If that's Webster, NY, you're talking about, I've been in that Friendly's! A family member lived in Webster about a decade ago and we visted regularly since Erie is only three hours away.

    As far as those ladies talking loudly, UGH. My hubby and I were once at our local Chinese buffet, and this lady came in with her family to eat. While they were eating, the woman called someone on the phone to ask what food they were to bring back with them. She read the ENTIRE menu at top volume to someone who apparently had a hearing problem. Because she read it more than once. The food names and the description of what was in them. No one at her table seemed to think this was strange.

    I thoroughly agree with you that the winter coat/shorts look is absolutely stupid. People do that here and I have to wonder if it's because they're trying to prove something or because Erie's cold enough that it just doesn't matter anymore.

    The Cardassians, haha . . . I'd love to sic them on the Kardashians. I have heard their names but wouldn't be able to pick them out of a police lineup. People who are famous because they told someone they're famous remind me of the Gabors from years ago. What, exactly, did Zsa Zsa Gabor do? She had a sister who was on Green Acres and she was famous for being famous.

    I so appreciate this list! I'm grr-ing right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, the Friendly's in question is in Webster, Massachusetts. Friendly's was started by two brothers named Blake, in this state, in 1935, and I'm old enough to remember when they would nicely stress that the restaurant was called "Friendly," and not "Friendly's!" But everyone called it Friendly's anyway. In 1989 the corporation that owned them by then just said "Screw it, change the official name to Friendly's."

    Zsa Zsa Gabor was actually in a handful of movies, IIRC, but you're absolutely right, nobody remembers those flicks, and she became "famous for being famous." Her sister Eva had a more legitimate career under her belt. Acting roles, and a successful wig business!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...