Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Insect Asides, Part Four ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post

Dan Courtney's cover is signed "Dan 'C.C.' Courtney," so I'm assuming that's a reference to artist
C.C. Beck... but I couldn't locate a cover that this illustration was based on... if indeed there was one!

Here's another chapter in my seemingly-endless look behind the scenes of my first attempts at scripting comic books!

Insect Man's Weird Tales #96, my second issue -- drawn by artist Dan Courtney -- was what I call a "transition" issue. Basically, it dealt with issue #95's cliff-hanger ending, and set things up for issue #97. In fact, I didn't even give this story a distinctive title. I just labelled it as the conclusion to issue #95's "You're Not a Kid Anymore!"

It had been established by writer Chris Coleman that since his revival (Insect Man's revival, that is, not Chris Coleman's!), Rex experienced pain whenever changing back from his insect form(s). One of my earliest decisions as new writer was to get rid of that particular plot point.

After a fistfight in which Rex "Insect Man" Mason and Greg "Kid Secret" Nile (sans any superhero uniforms) dispatched their three SKULL antagonists, I had Rex and Greg discuss the problem of the aforementioned pains.

That's right, he said "The blasted thing came from Mars!" Y'see, young Paul Howley's Insect Man origin story from 1965 had established that Rex Mason had gotten the ring that gave him his shape-changing abilities from a Martian who had been visiting Earth. Well, twenty years later, we all knew that this alien could not actually be from Mars. Or could he?

It was early in my tenure as writer that I decided that each Insect Man story could be different. An issue could be dead serious. Or it could be totally goofy and humorous. A story could be set in outer space, in another dimension, or on the streets of Worcester, Massachusetts, in the so-called "real world."

Writers are God, don'tcha know?

I had decided that issue #97 was to be a real "bozo" issue. Plenty of silly jokes, and references that would mostly be appreciated by the comic book & entertainment fans who bought the IMWT title.

And yes, I had actually decided to send Insect Man and Kid Secret to Mars! But 1985 readers knew that such a trip could take a couple of years. I had to work around that, which, luckily, would be fairly easy in a goofy issue, right?

I started out by giving them transportation for their space journey.

The "Ben Grimm" reference, by the way, was a comic book insider's joke. Ben Grimm,
better known as The Thing of The Fantastic Four, had been a test pilot in his youth.

As a tiny sub-plot, I included a short segment where Greg was complaining about the name "Kid Secret" as being inappropriate for a now-adult superhero. Rex jokingly asked "What do you expect us to call you? Mister Secret?" To Rex's surprise, Greg actually liked the new name (although the superhero uniform(s) he wore during the next few issues still bore a "KS" logo)! Admittedly, I liked the name, too, because it reminded me of such Golden Age comic book heroes as Mister Terrific and Mister Scarlet (among others)!

The 1978 Superman movie (starring Christopher Reeve) had used "You Will Believe a Man Can Fly!"
as its slogan. I don't remember if the "You Will Believe a Man Can Fly (to Mars)" re-working
was my idea, or someone else's... but I definitely liked it, as it set up the tone of the following issue!

Insect Man's Weird Tales #97, the so-called "Special 'Off-the-Wall' Issue," was originally going to be called "Insect Man Conquers the Martians," a titular take-off of the 1964 piece-o-crap film, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Returning artist Ken Carson (already drawing better than he had two scant issues earlier) based a great cover on the Dell comic book adaptation of the movie!


There was a slight problem. Paul Howley said that nobody would understand the reference to the 1964 movie. He suggested we change the title to "My Favorite Martian," a title taken from the 1963-1966 TV show of the same name which Paul (and I) had watched as a youngster. Ken and I very briefly argued that one sixties reference was as obscure as the other, but quickly figured that we didn't really care either way. And after all -- heh -- it was Paul's book.

The young boy is Greg's son Rex (shown very briefly in IMWT #96), obviously named after Greg's
childhood friend/mentor, Rex "Insect Man" Mason. This scene never actually appeared in the book.

The issue was penciled by Holly Basiner and inked by Ken Carson.

Early in the story, I got to use the following purposely-silly method to "work around" that pesky one-to-two-year travel time to and from Mars! 

Here's my "cheat," folks!

Every single time I made a comment in the dialog or captions about the cost of the mission, I'd have the dollar amount crossed out and I'd write a caption blaming "national security." In retrospect... That cutesy little routine got tired pretty quickly.


My original caption was written as "If we don't get sued for something this issue, it'll be a miracle!" As shown above, Ken Carson (who inked and lettered the book) added yet another comic book in-reference, changing my caption to "it'll be a miracle, man!" referring to Eclipse Comics' Miracleman title of the 1980s.


After four hours of waiting, Rex and Greg were transported to a planet called Menro-6, the true home of the "Martian." There, they encountered Insect Man's ol' buddy, whom I named Hur-Bi (pronounced "Her-BEE," not "HER-bee," if it freakin' matters). Hur-Bi was an alien who used a lot of Earth slang in his speech.


The "Guardians of the Universe" crack refers to DC Comics' blue-skinned race of interstellar immortals, who give
the Green Lantern Corps their power rings... not to be confused with Marvel Comics' Guardians of the Galaxy.



To make a long story short... well, not short, perhaps, just not quite as long... Hur-Bi found and fixed an imperfection in the Insect Man ring. All Rex and Greg had to do now was travel home.

As it happened, however, no sooner had the multi-billion-dollar advanced prototype of the space shuttle re-entered Earth's atmosphere before it was spotted by the head of SKULL itself, the Mummy! And at this point, the light-hearted story approach of this issue came to a halt!


That's right. I wrote a story in which a space shuttle exploded. Maybe you think that's in bad taste, considering that it was right around that time that the real-life Space Shuttle Challenger disaster occurred.

Only thing is.. The Challenger disaster happened on January 28th, 1986.

My story was written, drawn, and published before the end of 1985.

To Be Continued...

Thanks for your time.

Insect ManInsect Man's Weird Tales, and all related characters and titles are copyright © Paul B. Howley.

19 comments:

  1. So now you've revealed that you're a prophet?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "prophet" sounds a bit... religious, dunnit? I certainly have no pretensions there. But although I've discussed my so-called "kiss of death" on my blog before, do I really take it seriously? Not so much. There's a lot to be said for coincidence.

      Delete
  2. So you were predicting demises even before your blog? Geez.

    I never even knew Santa got taken by Martians haha but I got the My Favorite Martian reference. Knew the difference between the Guardians too. Always good to work around that pesky travel time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun throwing around all the "in" references. There's almost too much of that in entertainment nowadays, as nearly all of the writers out there grew up reading or watching similar stuff.

      Delete
  3. Hi Silver,

    This is all very clever and I can see all the details that were woven into the story line. Hey, that magic hyperspace button explains the speedy trip to Mars. I like the reference to the Guardians of the Universe vs Galaxy. A lot of synchronicity going on here Silver.

    Very interesting read but, tonight I will probably dream of martians. haha..

    I don't remember if you ever showed us that ring which gave insect man his powers.

    If you could be a super insect which one would you be?
    I think I'd like to be a dragonfly or bee. I once read that a locust is one of the best pilots of the insect world. Interesting. Who would've guessed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been plenty of close-ups of the ring over the years, but as far as I know, the various artists have always pictured it as an unadorned circle of metal, rather like a wedding band. In fact, in this very post Ken Carson's illustrations showed Hur-Bi examining a very plain-looking ring.

      If I could be an insect (temporarily, or permanently?) it'd either be a dragonfly or a praying mantis. I've always loved the look of both.

      Delete
    2. Is that the ring in the Far Out Man frame? I didn't notice it the first read through.

      Ha - We would both like to be a dragonfly. A praying mantis is a nice choice as well. I saw one not too long ago. I think they bring a sense of peace and stillness. Unfortunately, neither insect has a very long lifespan.

      I hope you had a nice 4th Silver :)

      Delete
  4. This is great! I think you did a bang-up job of it. I kind of like Kid Secret turning into Mr. Secret. And your workarounds were terrific and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This Insect Man series is lasting a lot longer than originally planned. Glad people don't seem to mind.

      Delete
  5. You developed meaningful, layered story line. This is great stuff. Don't all "blasted" things come from Mars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess it was layered. The character had 20 years of history, plus a few months of newer stories, plus I had several ideas of my own... A lot to work with.

      Delete
  6. See, I suspected you were talented (what do I mean, 'suspected'?!!), but NOW I know for sure. Plus you are not only telepathic but also prophet (in a non-religious way even though writers are God)... :)

    How about that... I am truly impressed, not to mention that 1985 is my favorite year. That isn't a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of a year that would qualify as my favorite. I do recall that 1982 was pretty sucky in terms of celebrity deaths and the like. IIRC, that trend actually started in very late 1981, when Natalie Wood drowned.

      Delete
    2. Natalie Wood... I remember her. Talk about a stroll down memory lane.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that was one of those celebrity deaths that really hit me hard... like Steve Ditko's just did.

      Delete
  7. Have to love the details!! Writer is GOD and God is in the details. And you were predicting/writing about celebrity deaths even thirty years ago?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Either I'm psychic or my life has been filled with coincidences.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...