Saturday, May 31, 2014

A David'Z RantZ "Short Shorts" Post from 4/6/08


1)  The other morning, I went out for breakfast and had, among other things, a "Country Fried Steak." In case you don't know what that is, it's a steak -- kinda/sorta -- that's breaded -- again, kinda/sorta -- like southern fried chicken and cooked Lord-knows-how (I never ask -- and no, "fried" isn't specific enough in this case). And this time, I wondered how and why "country fried steak" ever came about.

Think about it. Meat prices being what they are (and have been for years), I know of a lot of people who "settle" for chicken far too often, when they'd rather have a nice steak!

So, why on earth would someone who can afford a steak want it to be prepared like cheap chicken?

I guess it originated down South -- I'm only assuming that because of the whole Southern-fried aspect, and not relying on any regional prejudices -- when some guy walked into a diner and said something to the effect of, "Hey, Bob, I just made a killin' sellin' off my crops this year! And I'm gonna treat myself to a nice, juicy steak dinner for a change!" And the counterman/cook leaned forward almost conspiratorially and said, "Sure thing, Billy, but you better let me do it up like the fried chicken you usually get, just so's it won't be too much of a shock to your system."

2) Why the hell do most radio stations insist on having so-called "morning shows?" I listen to my car radio so I can hear music, not a bunch of pointless talk. There are stations officially designated as "talk radio," y'know, so if you really want to hear a bunch of jibber-jabber on your way to work -- or on your way home from wherever you passed out last night -- feel free to listen to one of them. Let me have my music, okay?

If I want to put up with an endless supply of words before getting down to the actual entertainment, I'll... I'll...

I'll read my own blog, that's what I'll do!

Thanks for your time.

23 comments:

  1. i get so bored of the talk radio in the morning...i usually use the cds in the morning...and i would rather my steak bloody than fried...though maybe with a bit of steak butter.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The talk radio guys seem to think they're pretty entertaining, though.

      Delete
  2. This post make feel hungry because is lunch hour!
    So you post food too? love it!
    Look good! ha
    I don't like the talk radio in the morning.
    xo

    And I have to make lunch (maybe lasagna?)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure that's steak under the dog vomit?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blah to that, if I ever eat steak, just steak not any of that crap and yeah morning shows are annoying as hell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think is a nice picture and don't look bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes is not I didnt told of course.
      I dont know about the food but the picture is good.

      Delete
  6. I live in the South and have only had country fried steak a few times in my life. Way too fattening! I do like it, though, especially with white homemade gravy on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had country fried steak, but it looks delicious. Now I'm hungry. Guess that diet will have to start tomorrow. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not bad, I must admit. But it's quite a filling breakfast.

      Delete
  8. "Sure thing, Billy, but you better let me do it up like the fried chicken you usually get, just so's it won't be too much of a shock to your system." LOL Oh, my goodness, in all fairness it does seem like a legitimate reason to fry it up. Sort of.

    The radio talk shows, hmm . . . music wins of course, but once in a while I do find one specific's radio station talk show interesting. It depends on my mood, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind talk radio. What I object to is the fact that even the music stations seem to rely on a "morning team" of some kind. I actually knew of one where there were three guys on the morning show, and another two who were there to provide a "laugh track" for the other three.

      Delete
  9. ha ha ha
    well being a southern gal (partially) i know that southern folk love to country fry everything, so why not steak (and it aint the wonderful steak they usually fry, which I'm sure you know, they fry it to mask its poor quality!) - every have fried okra? yum!

    and i'm with you on morning shows, esp the pranksters!
    happy tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had fried okra. I had frozen okra, which was boiled, I believe. I remember it as being somewhat slimy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always entertaining and never dull - not a bit like morning radio.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Confession time: I enjoy a country fried steak now and then. Texas Roadhouse is about the only place that does it justice. Now we just need to figure out a way to get your blog posts on the air. I'd tune in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, thank you very much.

    The nearby restaurant which occasionally served me my country-fried steak went out of business, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...