Saturday, September 23, 2017

Separated at Birth?

 Actor Herbie Faye, 1899-1980

Actor Ned Glass, 1906-1984 

Confession time: I almost always get the above-pictured two character actors confused.

Herbie Faye got his show-biz start in vaudeville. He was a prolific movie and television actor, probably best known for appearing in both of Phil Silvers' CBS-TV series, The Phil Silvers Show (1955–1959) and The New Phil Silvers Show (1963–1964).

Ned Glass was also a vaudeville veteran who made numerous TV and movie appearances during his career, and is probably best known for playing Doc in 1961's West Side Story.

They were born within a handful of years from each other, and died within a handful of years from each other! They both lived to be approximately the same age (Herbie died at eighty-one, Ned at seventy-eight).

Comedians Joey Faye (no relation to Herbie), Phil Silvers, and Herbie.

Ned, flanked by Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in 1966's The Fortune Cookie.

Funny thing: Ned Glass also appeared on The Phil Silvers Show, and Herbie Faye also appeared in The Fortune Cookie! But I couldn't find a good photo of either of those appearances.

So. Separated at birth? Or were they the same guy?!?

Thanks for your time.

22 comments:

  1. haha it would be funny if it was the same guy screwing with people. There are a few actors that look like they were separated at birth. I guess everyone as some lookalike out there. Not all of ours can be Santa lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are several similar-looking actors and actresses in Hollywood. Whenever I think of a pair, I wish they could play brothers or sisters in at least one movie.

      Delete
    2. By the way, Pat, do you remember back when I did a brief note in the "separated at birth" vein about you and conservative writer Ben Shapiro? Well , he wears his hair slightly differently now, and doesn't resemble you anywhere near as much!

      Delete
  2. I have trouble with Lee Marvin and James Coburn, as well as Laurence Olivier and Rex Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen other comparisons between Marvin and Coburn before.

      Delete
    2. I was later reminded of my trouble with separating Richard Widmark and and an older George Peppard, as well as Rutger Hauer and Richard Lynch. Fascinating subject, my friend.

      Delete
  3. I recognize Ned Glass from West Side Story, which I watched a couple of months ago for the umpteenth time. The two certainly look as if they could be brothers. Are you sure they weren't related to each other?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure. Wikipedia usually mentions when people are related to other celebrities (for example, George Clooney and Miguel Ferrer), and they said nothing about these two being related.

      Delete
  4. They do say that everyone has a doppelgänger, right? I've had friends send me photos of strangers before who have looked unnervingly like me. So weird to think of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a customer come into an office I worked in, and tell my co-worker that I was a very evil man! Turns out I closely resembled someone she knew who lived in that town.

      Delete
    2. How awful! Hope you got that straightened out.

      Delete
    3. Yes. My co-worker calmed her down.

      Delete
  5. Well, everyone has a double, why should film actors be an exception? Super handy for the stunts if your double lands up in the film industry also!

    I get more than actor lookalikes confused. Not proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of both Helen Hunt and Leelee Sobieski that makes one wonder whether or not they're mother and daughter, which of course, they are not.

      Delete
  6. They say we all have a double and I have always found that interesting. If, you are a twin, would there be another double set of twins? Too much to ponder before I go to bed. Now, I will be dreaming of doubles.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...