Wednesday, May 17, 2017

"Idol Eyes" (Reprinted from March 22nd, 2012)


I have been looking through this warehouse I call an apartment for weeks, trying to find the following poem. "Idol Eyes" is certainly not the best thing I ever wrote, but I only did it as kind of a novelty piece anyway. It may make some tenuous kind of sense to you when you read it here, fellow babies, but if you read it aloud, I guarantee it won't make any sense at all to whomever hears it!

Which was the point.

Thanks for your time.

IDOL EYES
You idolize,
You idealize,
But whatcha gonna do when your idol lies?
Your idol lies
To your idle eyes,
So you'll never see the truth in his idol eyes.
You lionize
His lyin' eyes.
(But you'll never see the truth in his idol eyes.)
You idolize
But your idol lies,
And when his day is done? Well, he idle lies.
He idle lies,
Closin' idol eyes,
And when your day is done you idealize.

16 comments:

  1. Holy Idol, Batma....I mean awesome play on words David! So much truth hidden in these syllables.
    Faith: #TheWordonWords at Life & Faith in Caneyhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so. I was in a very strange mood when I wrote it, years ago.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I dont think he always lie David :)

      Delete
    2. Well, there are some people who don't seem able to tell the truth!

      Delete
  3. Great word play and when one does idolize they pay and pay and pay. Not wanting to believe their idol could possibly send lies their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people will excuse just about anyone or anything if it fits in with their own agenda.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't recall what inspired it, I wrote it so many years ago.

      Delete
  5. I'm delighted to read your poetry here. Cool wordplay and incisive the truth hidden in them! Kudos.

    Much enjoyed reading. And by the way :) poetry should always be read aloud at least once :D

    This would make a great song too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it, but I still say that if read aloud, the listener would be greatly challenged to understand it. :)

      Delete
  6. oh, I remember this from the first posting! Quite the tongue twister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I can get away with reprinting some of my older stuff because a lot of my current readers have only been with me for 2-3 years, since I participated in the 2014 and 2016 A to Z Challenges..

      Delete
  7. That would make a brilliant piece of performance poetry!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it would confuse the hell out of the audience.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...