Thursday, July 8, 2010

David'Z RantZ -- The Revenge of the "Short Shorts"



1: Don't Blame Me!

It's true, I haven't posted in over two weeks -- not counting a chapter of WHO'S WHO in PLEASANTVIEW and the section I contributed to the latest chapter of Spy Guys, both on the Simpson/Lynch Studios blog -- but it's not my fault.

No, really.

Blame Prince.

You know, Prince? Or as I call him, "The Artist Formerly Known As the Artist Formerly Known As Prince."

He has been quoted as saying "The Internet's completely over."

So, assuming that he's right, why should I -- or anyone else -- ever blog again?

He goes on to purple-rain on the internet parade by saying, "Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Right. That, from the guy who f**ked over the English language with song titles like "Nothing Compares 2 U" and "I Would Die 4 U." (Emphasis mine.)

(And "thanx and a tippo" to Skip Simpson for sending me that "Princely" link in the first place.)

2. I HATE Being Wrong!

Yesterday, the local oldies radio station to which I listen kept mentioning that July 7th was the seventieth birthday of Ringo Starr, known far and wide as "Mr. Conductor" on Shining Time Station... as well as for his participation in an obscure little band called The Beetles, or Beatles, or something like that.

Okay, no messing around, here. Let's get serious. I thought July 7th, 2010, was Ringo's seventy-first birthday. And until I did a quick internet search to "prove" myself right, I'd "known" for years that Ringo -- the oldest Beatle -- was born in 1939, while John Lennon was born in 1940, Paul McCartney in 1942, and George Harrison in 1943.

Well! I was right in believing that Ringo was the oldest Beatle, but as it turns out, he and John Lennon were both born in 1940.

I hereby place a thousand curses on the original source of my misinformation... wherever it originated, many years ago, probably when I was a kid, and the Beatles were still together! For me to screw up musical trivia about something so very basic is... well, it's almost as bad as misspelling Elvis Presley's name as "Alvis." Unforgivable!

Crap. I hate being wrong. I hate it!

3. I LOVE Betty White!

When I was a little kid in the 1960s, Betty White was a frequent guest on numerous TV game shows, including Password (hosted by her late husband, Allen Ludden). She also served as an ever-smiling, sickeningly-sweet co-host to various televised holiday parades.

But then, in the 1970s, the folks behind The Mary Tyler Moore Show wanted someone to play a parody of a "Betty White type," and thus was born the character of Sue Ann Nivens, the "Happy Homemaker," played by Betty White herself!

Well, as I've stated on my blogs several times before -- and don't worry, I'm not gonna throw any "linky things" at you here, fellow babies -- I've always appreciated anyone who doesn't take themselves too seriously. Therefore, from that point on, I became a Betty White fan, and have enjoyed her in everything from The Golden Girls to her recurring appearances on Boston Legal.

And hey, I'm not the only one who loves her! Just listen to what Sandra Bullock says about working with Betty on the recent film, The Proposal!


Umm... okay... Bad example, maybe. But I still think Betty's great.

Here's even more proof that Betty doesn't take her "sweetness & light" persona seriously. I have to give a major profanity/obscenity alert to this brief clip, but... come on. It's Betty White. Watch it. You know you want to!


You go, girl!

Thanks for your time.

6 comments:

  1. Betty White was pretty cute in that Super Bowl commercial for Snickers this year, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this one, too, Fox!:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxL7MKsGoPo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poot. I thought you'd be able to click that link. I goofed. But go look at it anyway. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Rantz David. It's good to see you are up to form. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I send you a news story about the artist formerly known as Prince who is now known again as Prince and it winds up on your blog! Coincidence? I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you missed the "thanx and a tippo," huh?

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...