Monday, May 4, 2009

It Was LAST Month? (third entry)

Here we go with the third entry -- another song -- in our salute to National Poetry Month... which was last month. Sue me.

This was written for a friend named Robin -- a Scorpio, like myself -- who literally asked me to write a song for her. I said I would, on one minor condition: If she'd give me the title, I'd tailor it to the goings-on in her life.

She did so, and I ended up writing a so-called "advice song," the kind of song my friend Dave always said he hated, for some strange reason.

But it didn't matter if
Dave liked "advice songs" or not. It wasn't written for him.

Robin loved it.


The first line of the song, "Never step on a scorpion," was from the title of a 1965 Spider-Man story written by Stan Lee, believe it or not!

* * * * *

Games (12/08/1978)

Never step on a scorpion, people.
No, never mess with its head.
If you're heartless, you'll wind up a'suffering,
If just careless, you'll "just" end up dead.
When a wound's deep, its healing takes longer,
And its bleeding alarms all your friends,
But there's method to all of this madness,
More like means justifying the ends.

CHORUS
It's a shame when you see friends with problems,
And you're buffeted 'round in their wake,
But first, look to yourself,
Rest your friends on the shelf,
And avoid all these games for your sake...
All those games that are making you quake.

Find a way to back off from surroundings.
Find a listener who also can talk.
Take advice only if it's worth something.
If a ride comes along... try to walk.
No one knows more than you what upsets you.
Only you have to deal with such stuff.
Don't find solace in false ways of dealing
Or the going gets rougher than rough.

CHORUS
It's a shame when you see friends with problems,
And you're buffeted 'round in their wake,
But first, look to yourself,
Rest your friends on the shelf,
And avoid all these games for your sake...
All those games that are making you quake.

REPEAT FIRST VERSE AND CHORUS

* * * * *

I couldn't resist a private joke -- in addition to the Spider-Man reference -- when I wrote "Games."

When I write a song, I often picture a certain celebrity singing it.

"Don't Let Me Love You on the Rebound" -- from my last post -- was written with Jerry Reed in mind. Another song, "The Life You Never Find" -- which I wrote years ago and recently included in a story called "Angelina" -- was composed "for" Barry Manilow.

The tune I attached to "Games" was tailored to Jimmy Buffett... hence my use of the word "buffeted" in the second line of the chorus.

Hey, what can I say? These little things keep me amused.

(Now let's wait to see if I just "cursed" Jimmy Buffett.)

Thanks for your time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that opening line. One of my sons is a Scorpio. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. graet song. that it is ties to spiderman only makes it better. and buffet too, as I am a fan.

    chorus is too true! great stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, folks. I pre-scheduled (if that's a word) these poetry posts, as I've been working on other projects. I just had time to visit your two blogs for the first time since Theme Thursday, and enjoyed 'em all!

    The best of my poetry and... ummm... ummm... songetry?... was very depressing stuff. This one was more cheerful than the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh got to read this to my dad (also a scorpio!)...

    Great song, you're a creative soul!
    Thanks for sharing
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creativity knows no bounds. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...if I provide the title, would you write the lyrics for me? Get bit by the bug again, for the sake of a maritime friend ;) Might be the first rung on the ladder? Whadda ya say? You really should join in on some of these linkups again~ You were obviously having fun!!! You've filled this one with some very valuable advice and I love that you write for the performer...that was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...