Saturday, June 28, 2014

British Invasion (A David'Z RantZ Short Shorts Post from 5/21/08)


I love it when an article talks about "the surviving members of The Beatles," like there are three or four dozen of them floating around the planet. Folks, there are two surviving members. Half the group. Period. There were four in the real core group -- John, Paul, George, and Ringo -- and that's not trying to insult Pete Best, or Stu Sutcliffe, or any of the people who've variously been referred to as "the fifth Beatle" someplace because of their amazing contribution where blah-blah-freakin'-blah was concerned...

And no, no fair counting Yoko.

Let's face it, if you were one of The Beatles, you were one of the coolest people in the universe, ever. Or at least you were cool for a period long enough so that you'll be indelibly stamped in the minds of Earth's citizens as a "former Beatle," and nothing you can do -- not even a stint as Mr. Conductor -- can take that away from you.

I mean, if Paul McCartney -- I'm sorry, I meant Sir Paul McCartney -- were to be elected Prime Minister of Great Britain, you just know that even if he were assassinated in office we'd read this: "British Prime Minister and former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney was shot today outside of... " Hell, Ringo could become an astronaut and a serial killer, and the eventual news article would read, "Ringo Starr, former Beatle, astronaut, and accused mass murderer, was apprehended today... "

2. Hey, that bit about "Sir" Paul McCartney reminds me...

What in the world possessed Great Britain to start knighting pop stars? I mean, sure, I think The Beatles were incredibly cool, and even said so above, but... Sir Paul? And... Sir Mick Jagger? Sir Cliff Richard?

Can you see King Arthur trying to defend Merrie Olde England with a Round Table comprised of Sir Paul, Sir Mick, Sir Cliff, and... Sir Elton?

Thanks for your time..

18 comments:

  1. ha. it would make for interesting meetings around the round table...
    i think it is an effort to add coolness to a very old institution...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right.

      Hm. Wonder why Keith Richards has never been knighted...

      Delete
    2. Seriously? You have to ask? Sir Mick is bad enough, but Sir Keef would be a disaster! At least Paul has a certain gravitas fitting the station.

      Delete
  2. How about Sir Bono and Sir The Edge? I saw online that the Queen made Angelina Jolie a Dame. I have no idea if it's true. Does the Queen knight (or dame) people from other countries? I wonder how my obituary will describe me. Probably will say "no one could remember her name but a couple of people thought she was amusing, while others complained about her narcissism." I was a Beatle, but I am the Lost Beatle.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Sir gets thrown around so much now it's like being called an arse. King Arthur would fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stepdaughter thought Elton John was one of The Beatles. I hope this isn't an indication that things are getting lost over the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like there are some pretty amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. when the apple cd came out...it was all I listened to. unfortunately as soloists...I tuned out. sorry beatles, but you were meant to be as a group! great meeting you silver fox! newest follower!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I usually surprise people when I tell them I prefer the early Beatles to their later stuff.

      Delete
  7. LOL knighting pop stars is "in" . . . or you know, they're really desperate. Clearly.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...