Monday, November 28, 2016

Ron Glass, 1945-2016, R.I.P.


Actor Ron Glass, best known for playing Detective Ron Harris on Barney Miller, has died at the age of seventy-one of respiratory failure.

You may also know him from his roles on (among other shows) The New Odd Couple, Firefly, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Unfortunately, I don't have any anecdotes to add today. I don't really know anything about Mr. Glass' personal life. But I was (and am) a big fan of Barney Miller, and Mr. Glass played his character, a detective who worried more about his attire and his authorship of a book called Blood on the Badge, to perfection.
.


Thanks for your time.

8 comments:

  1. I remember him from Barney Miller. but I also fondly remember him as Shepherd Book on Firefly and the follow up movie Serenity. From the behind the scenes interviews, deleted scenes, et al from the DVDs of the series and the movie, Ron Glass came across as a guy who loved to laugh more than anything, and who the whole cast loved dearly. Apparently Ron Glass in real life was very much like Shepherd Book. In fact, Joss Whedon says Glass didn't have to act at all in portraying Book; he just played himself. And Book was a kind, loving, ethical person, which says a lot about the man who played him. He'll definitely be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Roy. I never saw Firefly so I'm afraid I missed out on seeing Ron Glass as Shepherd Book.

      Delete
  2. I vaguely remember Barney Miller reruns I watched with my uncle. I know him from Firefly though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was perfect in Barney Miller and when I see that picture only Hal Lindon and Max Gail. Ron Glass was too young in my book

    ReplyDelete
  4. From too much love of living,
    From hope and fear set free,
    We thank with brief thanksgiving
    Whatever gods may be
    That no man lives for ever;
    That dead men rise up never;
    That even the weariest river
    Winds somewhere safe to sea.

    ~ Algernon Charles Swinburne

    This has been a terrible year as far as losing poets and performers go...still reeling

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...