Friday, November 11, 2016

Robert Vaughn, 1932-2016, R.I.P.


Actor Robert Vaughn has died at the age of  eighty-three, eleven days short of his eighty-fourth birthday. An excellent obituary may be found here.



Vaughn was best known as Napoleon Solo, the "man" in The Man from U.N.C.L.E., NBC's mid-1960s spy program. Those who know me well know that I was and am a big fan of the show, having watched it in my youth. In fact, three of the first four comic book scripts I ever had published (one as writer, two as co-writer) were in Entertainment Publishing's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. comic book when we revived the series in 1987.




Even before U.N.C.L.E., Vaughn was a critically-acclaimed young actor. His second-best-known role is probably that of Lee, one of the seven in the original 1960 The Magnificent Seven.


Younger TV viewers may know Vaughn from his role of Albert Stroller in AMC's Hustle.


I often end these little tributes of mine saying that so-and-so "will be missed," but in my case that's more than true as it applies to Robert Vaughn.

Thanks for your time.

12 comments:

  1. He played so many roles and in some very cheesy movies. He always seemed suave with a hint of the diabolical. Another big star to be missed

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sure was in a lot. Could always guess he was going to be the bad guy in many of the lower budget movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guessed you'd feature Robert Vaughn when I heard the sad news. I loved the Man from U.N.C.L.E. it was one of those iconic tv programmes from my childhood.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard this! When I saw your RIP, I thought it was going to be for Leonard Cohen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have something coming up for Leonard Cohen which is a little bit different from my usual tributes. As soon as I can escape from a hectic schedule, that is.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...