Monday, February 25, 2019

Peter Tork, 1942-2019, R.I.P.


Yes, I know it's been a very long time since I've been posting my celebrity tributes on a regular basis. I think the only two since Lord-knows-when were Steve Ditko in July, and Stan Lee in November. And believe me, there's a whole post in itself explaining why I haven't done many lately, but let's cut to the chase and just say it's a combination of available time and an urge not to "bury" my posts by blogging too often.

Enough of that.

I was kinda surprised to hear of Peter Tork's passing the other day. I was a fan of Mr. Tork and the other three of the Monkees, the so-called "pre-fab four" whose popularity rivaled that of the Beatles for a while. It could be arguably stated that by 1966, the Beatles' appeal was to those with slightly more sophisticated tastes, but that's a discussion for another time. And for someone else's blog, for that matter.



I'll make a simplistic statement here: Of the four Monkees, Peter Tork and Mike Nesmith considered themselves to be actual musicians, while Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz seemed to think of themselves as primarily actors, at least at first. None of the four were allowed to contribute anything in the way of instruments on the Monkees' first two albums. But Tork, who was a versatile musician (to say the least), was surprised and resentful toward the attitude of the Powers-That-Be. From their third album on, the Monkees insisted on playing their own instruments.


A few years ago, when all four of the Monkees were still with us.

I only have two personal Monkees-related anecdotes to share here. (Three, if you count the fact that I saw the Monkees -- minus Mike Nesmith -- in concert during their mid-1980s Reunion Tour.)

1. Many years ago -- 1982 or 1983, if memory serves me correctly -- I was still actively appearing with local bands, or if not, looking for my next one. At that time, I was envisioning forming a band all my own, which would play primarily oldies rock'n'roll and blues. I even came up with a great name, a unique name, a name I liked so freakin' much that  I didn't tell anybody what it was. I was saving it.

A few years after I'd come up with this incredible name, the Monkees performed on some TV show. Whichever program it was escapes me now. After the Monkees played, there was a brief interview segment where Peter said that his own band was the Monkees' opening act. The band's name? Shoe Suede Blues.

  
Need I even bother to state that The Shoe Suede Blues Band was the very name that I had come up with, quite a while earlier? I thought not. Damn! What were the odds?!?


2. Somewhere around twenty years ago, a bunch of people who lived in my apartment building were congregated on two back porches, commiserating and having a few beers. I mentioned (for some reason) that of all people, Jimi Hendrix had very briefly been the Monkees' opening act in 1967, before Hendrix had made a name for himself.

A guy named Don said "Hendrix! Hendrix was sixties!"

"Yeahhhh, and so were the Monkees," I said.

"The Monkees were in the seventies."

"Their TV show premiered in September of 1966," I stated.

Don continued to argue.

Well! Although the internet existed when this conversation took place, none of the people assembled that day had ready access to it. However, I had a Hendrix biography -- 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky: The Life of Jimi Hendrix by David Henderson -- somewhere in my apartment, plus the latest edition of a book with a slightly longer title, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present by Tim Brooks and Earle F. Marsh!

I ran -- okay, walked -- to my apartment and went to look for the two books. I couldn't find the Hendrix bio, but I found The Complete Directory in no time. I brought the volume onto the porch, and read the information aloud about when The Monkees premiered on NBC, which was on September 12, 1966.

  
Don's reply was "Oh, I don't care what it says in a book." Wow. Then how can anyone ever prove anything, I wondered, but I didn't pursue the matter any further. What would have been the point? When someone clings so firmly to their ignorance, who can dissuade them?

It kinda reminded me of the whole "Ms." incident that I talked about here.

Anyway, I've often heard Peter Tork's on-air persona described as the "funny" or "goofy" member of the cast of The Monkees, but that's like pointing at a photo of Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx and naming any one of the three as the "funny" one. All of the Monkees (on the TV show, anyway) were goofy. It was a goofy show... as it was supposed to be.

A slightly more serious shot of Peter than what we usually saw during the Monkees' heyday.

Thanks for your time.

34 comments:

  1. For the life of me, I can't remember why I didn't post a tribute to Davy Jones when he passed away a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. I just checked. Davy Jones died on February 29th, 2012, and I wasn't posting from January 11th to March 12th, although I can't recall why.

      Delete
  2. hmm, This was a very interesting post Silver. Imagine two people coming up with the same band name? Coincidence or something more at play?

    I knew you would do a post on this one when I heard the news.
    I thought, Silver will do one of his RIP posts and well here it is?

    I think we have something in common Silver, just sayin'

    I don't try to reason with unreasonable people.

    You should have shown him this record...wow a 45...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w99Pb_UEvQI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This drunk bozo probably wouldn't have been convinced even if there'd been a date written on the label.

      As far as Shoe Suede Blues, which I thought (and still think) was a unique & clever play on words for a band playing oldies and blues... As I said above, "What were the odds?"

      Delete
    2. If you were to perform one song again on stage, what would it be and why?

      Delete
    3. You always come up with some great questions! It's a tough call. I have recordings of all but two of my second band's original songs. I wrote one and co-wrote the other. I'd love to sing either even one more time just to have it recorded. As far as cover tunes? My bands did Led Zeppelin, Queen, Jeff Beck, the Babys [sic], Aerosmith, Robin Trower, Journey, Robert Palmer, Starz, Tom Petty, and many more. I'd really have to think about this one at length, armed with a set list from both Shudr (my first band, the one with the stupid name) and Viper (my second band).

      Delete
    4. I would love to hear one of your songs Silver. Can I entice you to share? Just curious as to what your personal sound would be? Maybe, you could share a tidbit of a lyric? If you don't want to share it here you could email me. Or maybe, you have already shared here and I am late for the party ;)

      Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

      Delete
    5. I recently rejoined Facebook and I've been "friended" by Viper's guitarist, Bob Jolie. (Are you on Facebook, True?) Bob posted a link to one of Viper's songs, a song called "Crime Don't Pay" which he and I wrote. The only existent recording of Viper is a six-song session we recorded in a studio in only five hours... so it's pretty rough around the edges. Most groups take months to do that many songs, and do them well. Anyway, I sang along with each performance the band taped, meaning I did the equivalent of a five-hour concert that day! It's amazing I could sing at all by the end of it. Anyway, if you wanna hear "Crime Don't Pay," rough edges and all, here 'tis: https://app.box.com/s/vbn3lrk8cf5tbsbstpty

      Delete
    6. Hi Silver I don’t belong to Facebook, I guess you can say I am an oddity.

      I will try the link after work, thanks for sharing!

      I can’t wait 😊

      Delete
    7. Just keep in mind, please, that we devoted less than an hour of studio time to each song. By professional standards, that's pretty meager.

      Delete
    8. No worries, I understand. I just want to get a feel for the music and your voice.

      Delete
    9. Well, have fun, or good luck, or something... Ha.

      Delete
    10. Thanks that was quite interesting. Being the curious cat-woman that I am I googled the song. There seems to be a song out there with the same title. There was also a comic book series ‘Crime Does Not Pay’ interesting Silver.

      Thanks for the link... I always enjoy a tune.

      Fun it was....

      Delete
    11. Well, you can't legally copyright a title. Not for movies, books, songs... I could write a novel about a hurricane and call it "Gone with the Wind" and they couldn't do a thing to me. But let me try to write a Civil War story with that same title and watch the lawyers pile on me.

      Delete
    12. That is very True, Silver. Thanks again for sharing the song:)

      Delete
  3. I loved the Monkees! And I always respected the fact that Mike Nesmith ended up never doing the reunion stuff with them after their "big" fame was done. I've read different accounts that Peter was quite the ladies' man back in their heyday, and it cracked me up because I'd always thought he was the guy who was most willing to be openly goofy onscreen, always doing the silliest things.

    I figured Peter Tork was also doing a lot behind the scenes, too . . . with groups like that, once they "disappear," the ones you don't hear about have usually moved on to producing or writing for others. Even though Davy Jones was thought of as the heartthrob, I always thought he was eh because Nesmith was much more interesting. And from the looks of all the photos in later years, Jones was the only one who looked like he was afraid of aging, haha. I know, it's a weird thing to judge on, but I suppose as a person who started going gray in her twenties and didn't bother with the hair dye, I can usually spot someone who's not comfortable letting anyone know they're getting older.

    Your buddy who couldn't be convinced, even by written proof—all I can say is ugh. When someone is willfully ignorant, that's when I walk away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really call him a "buddy," haha. Just a drunken neighbor.

      I've read that Peter Tork walked into the studio to offer help on the Monkees' first two albums, and was told outright that they didn't need or want him there.

      Delete
  4. lol would that be where fake news came from? Don't tell Trump, he may sue the guy.

    Funny how titles we think we come up with are original and then someone else comes up with them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost track of the number of times I came up with something I thought was quite original, only to find out that someone else thought of something very similar at around the same time. But this example just blew me away.

      Delete
    2. It’s synchronicity the universe is getting personal.

      Delete
    3. Agreed. I had a similar conversation with a young lady just last night, about incidents like the Shoe Suede Blues thing.

      Delete
    4. Well, if you ever want to converse let me know as I know a lot about synchronicity and the universe.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the offer. It's been a while since my thoughts roamed through that area!

      Delete
  5. Really Im sorry, I loved the monkees!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Monkees and was surprised to read that the TV show started in 1966. Surprised because I didn't realise how young I was when I fell in love with Davy Jones.
    p.s. did you find another band name?

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but unfortunately, I didn't need one, as I haven't performed in a band since the 1980s. The last time I sang onstage was in 1988, I believe.

      Delete
  7. Peter Thorkelson's death reminds me of my own aging. At least he made a lot of people smile.
    The only name my friends and I thought up for a band that I can remember was Jeremiah's Lung. I don't think anyone has used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely haven't heard of a band named Jeremiah's Lung. I like it! The older I get, the more likely it is that musicians and other celebs who are my age or a tad older will die. Not a pleasant thought.

      Delete
  8. You give us the best blasts from the past. As far as "Shoe Suede," great minds...Peter aged best of all the Monkees, I'd say. Sweet memories and heartwarming nostalgia.
    Thanks for that, Silver.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...