Tuesday, February 19, 2019

A Late Birthday Greeting to Charles Dickens


If he were alive, Charles Dickens would have celebrated his 207th birthday on Thursday, February 7th. But since he's not alive (and because I missed this birthday tribute because I was serializing my own story), feel free to send whatever present you'd like to give him -- and please notice that I did not use "gift" instead of "give" as my verb -- to me, instead. Not that I deserve to be equated with Dickens in any way, of course. I'm just greedy.

Dickens (in Boston) as we rarely get to see him: Young, and clean-shaven!

And now, some re-posted reminiscences of mine:

1. My very first exposure to Mr. D's work was the fantastic cartoon, Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol. Out of all the older and newer adaptations I've seen since then -- and I've seen a lot of them, fellow babies! -- the Magoo version is my favorite, if only for its nostalgic value for me personally. A great story (albeit condensed), bolstered by a memorable soundtrack... What more could a six-year-old ask for?

Ol' Eb Scrooge is shown his probable future by The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, a scene
which scared the livin' crap out of this li'l fox when I first viewed it, all alone in the dark!

2. The second time I was entertained by a Dickens story was when I accompanied the entire seventh grade class of my Middle School to a screening of Oliver!, the Oscar-winning musical based on Oliver Twist. Not much to add to that, other than the fact that Dickens' way with a yarn was already favorably working its way into my consciousness, preparing me for the following.

3. My first encounter with Dickens' actual writing was in high school, when my English Lit class got to read Great Expectations. I was one of those nerds who not only enjoyed the novel, but read ahead of the assigned chapters.

Picture this, if you will: The teacher asks the class a question. David's hand shoots up eagerly; he has the answer! The other kids in the class slump down in their seats in an attempt to make themselves invisible. The teacher looks around; she does not want to have to call on David yet again, but finally... she does.

David launches into a long, involved answer, touching upon many major and minor plot points in what is at that moment his very favorite novel.

Finally, the teacher interrupts. "Yes, David, that's all well and good... But most of what you're describing now takes place in chapters twelve through fourteen... and the rest of the class is on chapter five."



And here's a bit of Silver Fox trivia that you may never have noticed: If you scroll up to the title of this blog, you'll see something which may seem a bit odd, which is that the phrase "The Lair of the Silver Fox" has a period at its end. It's a title, not a sentence, so why the period? Dickens' two weekly magazines, Household Words and All the Year Round, in which he serialized some of his greatest stories (including Great Expectations), both had a period at the end of their names. Call it a tiny tribute, or a superstitious affectation... whatever. It's there, and it ain't goin' nowhere.

Here's a little gem from my private collection, and there are more copies of
All the Year Roundas well as Household Words, where this came from!

Anyway, without further ado... Happy Birthday, Boz!


Thanks for your time.

16 comments:

  1. I remember watching The Christmas Carol- it was a cartoon starring Mickey Mouse. Happy birthday to Dickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a funny anecdote. The other students were clearly um... lazy readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when it comes to students, Blue, you oughtta know, right?

      Delete
  3. I may have seen some of those cartoon versions of A Christmas Carol, but they don't seem to have made much of an impression on me. My first remembered encounter with Dickens was his A Tale of Two Cities, and crazy romantic that I am, it's still my favorite. I do like A Christmas Carol, and aside from the book, my favorite movie version is the one with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge. For me, it sticks closest to the book and sticks even closer to Dickens' humanitarian philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever saw Mickey's Christmas Carol, you would have been an adult, as it came out in 1983. The Magoo version was from 1962. The cartoons which made the biggest impression on me were those I saw as a child. I long lost track of all the adaptations of this tale. Some have tried various twists on the original. There was An American Christmas Carol, with Henry Winkler, Scrooged with Bill Murray, and even a Western, Ebeneezer, with Jack Palance!

      Delete
  4. I love Charles Dickens books . I think there are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as my post said, I've been a fan of his work for years.

      Delete
  5. Wondered where you were, didn't show up in blogroll, weird. Must have been that period. It jinxed the cat. haha funny that you were ahead of the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in February, all I've posted so far was this one and my five-part story, "For Baby (For Bobbie)."

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the Magoo Christmas Carol! I'd never seen it before meeting my husband 32 years ago, and he had a copy of it on VHS, taped from some cable channel. Now we have it on DVD but I still hear the old commercials in my head.

    I'd never read Dickens until Great Expectations came up in our high school curriculum when we were homeschooling our kids. I couldn't believe how much humor was all through it. It was certainly a great experience to break into his writing.

    In my school years, we had SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) time each day, and it was my favorite time of the school day. Only twenty minutes, but I made the best use of it. And I'm like you: I could never read only the assigned chapters for a book if it was a good one. I'd read the entire thing and then skim through the chapter for discussion before class so I was fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated with Dickens' writings and his personal life. I have his complete works on computer disc, so I actually don't own many actual books by him. However, I have close to a dozen books about him. At the local public library lately, I picked up an absolutely free copy of a large hardcover volume with several articles and illustrations about him that came out on the 100th anniversary of his death.

      Delete
  7. I could see little Silver Fox being the irritating but highly intelligent teacher's pet.
    Dickens had a beautiful, warm-loving face.
    A great weekend to you, Silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all more used to seeing later photos of Dickens, with his long, scraggly beard.

      Delete
  8. The Christmas Carol has had many adaptations. I remember as a child being scared of the ghost of the future and to be honest it still spooks me a bit today. I guess that is what makes great writing.

    You were an eager student ready with answers...haha... I was more like please don't pick me. I did enjoy the poetry part of English and one of my favorite high school readings was Romeo and Juliet. That should come as no surprise.

    I hope you are well Silver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my first view of The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come scared me, too, even though it was only a freakin' cartoon.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...