Tuesday, May 15, 2018

We're Off to See the Whizzer! ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post

Uhhh... "Fastest Man Alive?" Don't tell The Flash that!

Don't be fooled, fellow babies! This is not Part Two of last week's "WHAT Were They THINKING?" post, because today's post is devoted to only one character.

One... ludicrous... embarrassing... character.

A few weeks ago, in another "Comical Wednesday" post, I told you about a 1960s comic -- Fantasy Masterpieces #10, if you care -- which reprinted a story from 1946 featuring the awkwardly-named "All-Winners Squad."

And speaking of "awkwardly-named," maybe you remember the superheroes (and one superheroine) from that fabled team? Captain America & Bucky, the (original) Human Torch & Toro, Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner, Miss America, and... errr... the Whizzer.

What?

I said THE WHIZZER!

The Whizzer (real name, Robert Frank) first appeared in U.S.A. Comics #1, cover-dated August, 1941. U.S.A. Comics was published by Timely Comics, the company that became Marvel Comics in the early 1960s. The Whizzer's first artist (and presumably co-creator) was Al Avison, a stalwart Timely penciler and inker who worked on Captain America and many other features during the Golden Age. The writer/co-creator is unknown, and if I were he, I'd want it that way!

The Whizzer not only had an... ummm... unfortunate name, he also had one of the most idiotic superheroic origins in the history of comics... and that's saying a lot!

As the story opens, young Bob Frank is in the African jungle with his dad, famed doctor Emil Frank. Poor Bob is bitten by a cobra! Then, out of nowhere, a mongoose appears. As you're probably already aware, a mongoose is an incredibly fast animal, and this one fights the deadly snake to the death. The cobra's death, I should point out, although the valiant mongoose soon dies as well from injuries received during the battle.


A little aside, here: On my way to Florida in 1973, I saw a stuffed cobra and mongoose combo very similar to the above illustration... but they wanted $75 for the sucker, so it was clearly out of the realm of an "impulse item" for sixteen-year-old, not-yet-Silver Fox! Almost thirty years later, when I discovered eBay, I found another one for sale, coincidentally priced at $75, which was a lot less in terms of 1973 dollars versus 2000 dollars! Naturally, it now resides in my private collection!

Anyway, as I was saying before I rudely interrupted myself, here's where it gets weird. Emil Frank, supposedly a respected doctor, decides to inject some of the blood of the mongoose into his dying son! But of course! Wouldn't you?

(Yeah, Bob, you're a whizzer, all right!)

Don'tcha love how the transfusion of mongoose blood both saved Bob's life and gave him super-speed? And his dad knew all of that beforehand?

(Actually, in the modern-age Marvel Comics, the Whizzer's origin was amended slightly. It seems that the injection of mongoose blood actually jump-started Bob Frank's latent mutant super-speed powers. Uh-huh. I guess Dr. Frank had anticipated that, too, right? I guess the good doctor really was a freakin' genius!)

Anyway... The Whizzer only lasted a few years during the 1940s, but during that time he appeared in several different Timely Comics titles. And during all this time, it seems that no one at Timely cared very much about giving him a consistent appearance. I'm going to show you only some of the costume variations I found! You can feel free to glance very quickly at the next seven illustrations!

Yellow helmet with wings and a freakin' bird head, no mask,
yellow long-sleeved shirt, blue pants, blue boots, no cape.

Yellow headpiece with a "fin," no mask, yellow short-sleeved shirt, no
gloves, oddly-cut blue shorts, yellow leggings, blue boots, blue cape.

Red helmet with wings and a freakin' bird head, no mask, yellow long-sleeved
shirt, no gloves(?), blue shorts, yellow leggings, red boots, no cape.

Yellow headpiece with a "fin," no mask, yellow short-sleeved shirt, no
gloves, oddly-cut blue shorts, yellow leggings, blue boots, blue cape.

Yellow helmet with a "fin," half-mask, yellow short-sleeved shirt,
blue gloves, blue shorts, yellow leggings, blue boots, blue cape.

Yellow helmet with wings and a freakin' bird head, no mask, yellow
long-sleeved shirt, no gloves, yellow pants, blue boots, no cape.

Yellow headpiece with a "fin," no mask, yellow short-sleeved shirt,
brown gloves, oddly-cut blue shorts, yellow leggings, boots(?), blue cape.

Had enough? I have!

To me, it's a rather comforting feeling that, even in the 1940s, the folks at Timely knew they were dealing with a dorky character:

That embarrassingly stereotypical African-American is the Whizzer's 1940s sidekick, "Slow-Motion" Jones. There were
many characters like him in comics, movies, and other "entertainment" of the era. The less said about him, the better.

And modern-day Marvel creators know it, too!


Really dignified, huh?

For reasons known only to Roy Thomas, the Whizzer was revived in the 1970s, both in new stories set in the 1940s, and in some Avengers-related stories which took place in then-modern times. It was retroactively established that the Whizzer had been a member of two other 1940s super-teams, the Invaders and the Liberty Legion, two teams that hadn't really existed in the comics of the Golden Age! 


At one point -- when the Liberty Legion team first appeared in 1976 -- they even re-told the Whizzer's origin, but Roy Thomas couldn't resist making a mild wisecrack at the end of it.


There was a long-running -- no pun intended -- sub-plot which had everyone thinking that the Whizzer and Miss America were the real parents of Pietro and Wanda Maximoff (that's Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch to you). However, this supposition on the part of all characters involved ended in the 1980s, when it was revealed that Wanda and Pietro were really the children of Magneto and a woman named Magda! (Of course, comics being comics, later writers established that neither Bob Frank nor Magneto had fathered the twins. And why don't I just change the subject now, okay?)

Additionally, I should mention that there have been a few different characters since the 1960s -- both superheroes and super-villains* --who have taken the name "Whizzer." (Although I'm not sure why...)

But as for Bob Frank, the original?

After a series of heart attacks... he died in 1982.

And, even though these are comic books, I doubt there are any plans to bring him back.

Thanks for your time.

*Including a villain who later changed his name to Speed Demon, and can you blame him?

14 comments:

  1. Hi Silver,

    Another interesting post and I can honestly say I am not familiar with this character, but I did see the set up for his super power as I was reading.

    I wonder why you decided to write about this particular character if you are not really fond of him?

    You certainly know your comics Silver. If you were bitten my a fox what superpower would you possess? I think cleverness would be your strong point. What do you think about that?

    Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops by

      Clever title, but now I have that song looping in my head.

      Delete
    2. You're not the first person who's said that a post title of mine gave them an earworm! After working on this post (which was originally going to be titled "Whither the Whizzer?" I, too, couldn't get the song out of my mind for a while.

      I often write about some of the sillier aspects of comics, just to (hopefully) entertain most of my readers, who are not comic book followers. At their best, comics are incredibly entertaining, thought-provoking, and contain outstanding art. Having said that, a lot of them were crap, just like in any other medium.

      I like the idea of cleverness, but with my luck, if I received some kind of power from a fox bite, it'd probably be that I'd have fur all over my body, or something equally useless!

      Delete
    3. Well, maybe you could have the ability to be swift in tricky situations with or without hair..lol..

      Delete
  2. hahaha mongoose blood? As stupid as his name. Hopefully the heart attack sticks. He makes Howard the Duck seem grand.

    Isn't Magneto back to the father of them now? He always was in the cartoons and the movies these days, even though Marvel ignores it because of rights in the Avengers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about storyline changes involving Magneto and the Maximoff twins. Admittedly, I'm fairly shaky on comic info from the last 20 years. Marvel probably made them non-mutants after alkmost fifty years becauseFox had the rights to the X-Men and all other mutant characterts. I heard that's why they cancelled the Fantastic Four comic!

      Oh, and if you're judging Howard the Duck by that god-awful movie from 1986, the Howard that was introduced in 1973 by Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik was actually an incredibly well-written character. I cringe whenever I'm talking about comics and someone says "Yeah, I saw that Howard the Duck movie! That was great!"

      Delete
    2. But now Disney may get the Marvel rights back and all can be well. Just do some secret war thing and mix and match it all.

      Yeah, I heard the comic wasn't bad. But that movie, uggg. So compared it to the movie haha

      Delete
    3. It could be interesting. Will they reboot the FF yet again? Maybe Chris Evans will get to play Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers? Which Quicksilver will they use? The dead one or the other one?

      Delete
  3. Well, he had a lousy name, but he did have...Miss America? No wonder it was a short shelf life for that "hero."

    Happy weekend, Silver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha - now that's one super hero who won't be missed!

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, call me a twelve-year-old, but I can't get past the fact that Whizzer's costume was yellow. Could they not have come up with something else?

    I can't believe, even back then, that they thought Slow-Motion Jones was okay. Oh my.

    But as always, you show us the ridiculous side and not just the cool stuff. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering if the word "whiz" (or "whizz") meaning "urinate" was actually in use in the 1940s. I actually looked up the etymology of the word. It's older than I thought. I found two sources that said it originated in 1929, but neither said why. I didn't encounter it until the late 1970s.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...