Saturday, May 19, 2018

Pome #1: "Don't Let Me Love You on the Rebound" (Reprinted from 5/3/2009, Edited Where Necessary)


I'm trying something different for a few days, fellow babies!

Today's post, and the three that follow, will all be poems or songs which I wrote up to
forty years ago, but were published on this blog between 2009 and 2012.

So, no "Comical Wednesday" entries for a bit.

Here's the first in a rapid-fire series of old poems and/or songs, all but one written when the Silver Fox's hair was still light brown.

The following song is one of my personal favorites, primarily because of the wordplay. I really wish you could hear the tune I gave it! It's a bouncy, upbeat, banjoey C&W kinda thing, something I wish I could have sold to someone like Jerry Reed.

Oh, just one more thing. My Uncle Eddie used to purposely spell "poem" incorrectly, as "pome." I got most of my sense of humor from him, so I'm commemorating that with these four posts!

* * * * *

Don't Let Me Love You on the Rebound (originally written 10/19/1978)

When people start to treat me hard, I just grow harder,
And their cold shoulders just make me more cold.
I need companionship before my troubled life ends.
Oh, Lord, I guess I'm really gettin' old.
I'm also gettin' kinda sick o'losin' lovers.
So many women put me on the shelf,
And told me they were kinda sick o'lovin' losers.
So here I'm feelin' sorry for myself.

CHORUS
Don't let me love you on the rebound,
For it might up'n'fade away.
This lover's fog I'm in might vanish
Before the cleansin' light o'day.
Oh, yes, I'll love you on the rebound,
When it's too late for you, you'll finally see,
And you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

My life has been a downhill trip to darkest Hades,
An' lots o'people say it's just as well,
Cuz I ain't never gonna get to Heaven, darlin',
So here on Earth, I'll just prepare fer Hell.
My friends are special cuz they truly can accept me,
But you, m'dear, see somethin' thet I'm not.
You see good in one who's somewhat less than Satan,
But acts if he's somethin' more than God.

CHORUS
Don't let me love you on the rebound,
For it might up'n'fade away.
This lover's fog I'm in might vanish
Before the cleansin' light o'day.
Oh, yes, I'll love you on the rebound,
When it's too late for you, you'll finally see,
And you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

Yes, you are much too sweet'n'sensitive a lady
To be sufferin' for love o'scum like me!

* * * * *

Hey, it could be worse... I could be showing you some of the things I wrote when I was going through a heavy "Jim Morrison phase" in the early 1980s. Very derivative of Morrison's type of poetry... and the worst shit I ever wrote. But it left me with a very important lesson: Don't copy anyone's style unless it's for the sake of parody.

See you next time.

Thanks for your time.

20 comments:

  1. The sensitive sure get nailed on the rebound. A nice chorus flow indeed. Much truth in your pome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Too many people enter into relationships before they're ready.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops - let me try this again.

      Well, I could feel the "pome" and I actually could pick up a beat. Lovin' on the rebound is hard as it never really works out. I guess it comes down to giving your real heart and you can't do that when you are still healin'. The chorus has a nice rhythm and I'll remember to never let anyone love me on the rebound. So, were you on the rebound when your wrote this piece?

      Thanks Silver! Off to watch Suicide Squad!

      Delete
    2. What was wrong with your first comment?

      I've been trying to remember whom I was dating when I wrote this. Rachel? Marianne? I can't remember!

      Let me know how you like Suicide Squad!

      Delete
    3. I really enjoyed Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn stole the show. It was entertaining. I didn't care for the Joker though, he just didn't sit well with me for some reason. I do have to say those two were crazy about each other or just plain crazy. I guess they didn't want her to wear the jester outfit as it would be too much like a comic. Is that possible? I see what you mean about how the Joker treated his girlfriend. She needs to ditch him.

      I found it a little silly having all these villains on this mission. Why not just have Superman complete the task? haha...Hey, something
      for me to ponder.

      Oh and why were there no jokes?

      So Silver, I created a verse off you song..haha..ok, I just had to it's my nature.

      Delete
    4. I'm not sure if they're still using the jester-type suit in the comics. I don't follow the new stuff.

      I wasn't thrilled with this version of the Joker.

      Even Superman can't be everywhere at once.

      A new verse, inspired by my song? That's flattering. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  3. I love the "sick o'losin' lovers" and "sick o'lovin' losers" part especially. It's all in the perspective.

    Nice pome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice beat to it! and a slightly uncomfortable truth as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although the song's approach was kinda light-hearted.

      Delete
  5. Ha. Yeah, it's a bit of a downer, but I like it. Lots of men could relate, I'm sure. Some of us ladies too. I'd love to hear the music. Did you write music for it, Silver? It reads like a song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a tune that goes along with it. Unfortunately, I can't play guitar (or in this case, banjo), so I can't share it with my readers. Sorry.

      Delete
  6. That’s really cool, and hells yeah so bloody true.. like locked away deep down in davey Jones’ locker.

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...