Saturday, June 8, 2013

Esther Williams, 1921-2013, R.I.P.


Two days ago, Esther Williams, the MGM swimming sensation known as "America's Mermaid", passed away. I don't have that much to say about her, other than the fact that I was a fan. The autographed photo of her on my bedroom wall -- not inscribed to me personally -- attests to that.

She was the star of several films in the 1940s and 1950s. Many of these films had "aquatic" titles, such as Neptune's Daughter, Million Dollar Mermaid, Dangerous When Wet, and Bathing Beauty.

Ms. Williams (via her movies, initially) did a lot to popularize swimming. In fact, after she retired from movies in the early 1960s, she became a businesswoman with her own line of swimwear as well as Esther Williams Swimming Pools. Both businesses continue to thrive.




A more recent shot...


How many actresses got to swim with Tom and Jerry?

And now, since I like to find a personal angle to these celebrity tributes...


Here's a little-known Esther Williams collectible. It's a photo of Ms. Williams when still in college, in 1940. (She'd originally hoped to enter the 1940 Olympics, but World War II dashed those hopes to the rocks!) So this magazine -- and yes, I have a copy, although not in as good a condition as the above photo -- was published before she was famous, and well before the start of her movie career.

Thanks for your time.

26 comments:

  1. Athletic and beautiful! I love the picture of her in the gown!

    So, which photo do you have on your wall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A totally different one! Ha. I searched through dozens of online images, looking for "my" photo, with no luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to take a picture with your phone! I suppose she's in a wall gallery of beauties. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, you'd be surprised. There's no rhyme or reason to the autographed photos I own. Clayton Moore, Marina Sirtis, Alan Hale Jr., Gene Kelly, Nichelle Nichols, Alan Young, Jayne Russell, even General William Westmoreland. Not a lot of cheesecake there. :)

      Delete
    3. So the theme is that they are autographed and that they are celebrities. I see. :)

      Delete
    4. Pretty much, yeah. I also have Connie Stevens, Markie Post, Clint Eastwood, two paperbacks autographed by Jimmy Stewart, an album autographed by Davy Jones... and more.

      Delete
    5. you have paperbacks pinned to your bedroom wall?

      Delete
    6. Uhhh, no. Just telling you about some (but not all) of the autographs I have in my collection, silly.

      Delete
  3. Oh I always love and admired her, my mom called me Esther Williams because I love swim so much, sorry she passed away I would know until waht age she swim, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. Wonder if she was a swimmer right up until her death.

      Delete
    2. I hope swim until my death sigh!

      Delete
  4. I love she with Tom and jerry! (my favorites when I was little)

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you included tom n jerry...that is where i recognize her from....took me a minute to place her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. Kinda like when kids only know classical music from old Warner Brothers cartoons?

      Delete
  6. I remember that tom and jerry shot, had to have seen it way back when at my den. But admit i never knew who she was, although the name rings a bell somewhere up in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, actually....didn't know her name. We aren't all as ancient as the Fox. ha. Oops...I guess he's going to read this, isn't he. hahahaha....

      Delete
    2. Yes, he is. Ha. (Like you didn't really know that.)

      Delete
    3. So Im ancient too "amiga" ?? LOL
      Not matter me I allways love old movies:)

      Delete
  7. I love her old movies. I didn't know she died. Thanks for the post.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Another tribute post coming Monday. :(

      Delete
  8. To be honest--I had never heard of her--I'm a baby remember? However I found your tribute to her very interesting!

    Like your cats are liquids shot on your side bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I was wondering about that cats are liquids thing. So, when they shed on your clothes, do you get wet? hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Glad you like that, Rebecca.

      And Betsy, loved your joke. It reminds me of something I used to ask: When you spill a dry wine on yourself, why do you get wet?

      Delete
    3. Pretty woman - I remember her well. I also used to buy Cole of California swimsuits. I remember one especially. A white one. Loved that thing. And just thought I was the sexiest thing on the planet when I wore it. :)

      Delete
    4. Any photos you care to share, AngelMay? :)

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...