Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Bill Dana, 1924-2017, R.I.P.


Comedian, writer, and screenwriter  Bill Dana (born William Szathmary), has died at the age of ninety-two.

Once again, I seem to have the Kiss of Death. I talk or think about a person whom I haven't thought about in quite a while, and soon learn that he or she has died, or then discover that he or she has recently died. 

At my flea market stand, one of the items I have for sale is the album pictured below, José Jimenez in Orbit (Bill Dana on Earth). Just last Sunday, my display of this LP prompted not one, but two conversations about Bill Dana. One was with a gentleman who assumed that Mr. Dana was dead, but I promptly corrected him, informing him that the comedian, now ninety-two, was still alive. And as far as I knew, I was right; the news outlets had yet to report that Bill Dana had died on Thursday, the 15th.


Starting in 1959 and continuing throughout the 1960s, Dana appeared as José Jimenez, a somewhat simple-minded Bolivian (or Mexican, as has often been stated) character who spoke broken English and was an astronaut at one point in his fictional history. The character was warmly embraced by the real U.S. Mercury astronauts (not to mention a very young Silver Fox). Dana portrayed Jimenez until 1970, when it was decided that the character was too stereotypical, this in spite of the fact that "José" was actually relatively well-accepted by Latinos (well, depending on whose version you believe).

Early in his entertainment career, Dana had written routines for stand-up comic Don Adams. When Dana got his own show in the mid-1960s, Dana played José Jimenez as a bellhop. Adams was hired to play a hotel detective named Byron Glick. After The Bill Dana Show was cancelled, Adams took Glick's persona with him to play Maxwell Smart on Get Smart. (Bill Dana's brother Irving Szathmary wrote the Get Smart theme, yet another Don Adams connection.) Dana also co-wrote Don Adams' 1980's Get Smart movie, The Nude Bomb... which was just that, a "bomb."

Among many other credits in his long career, Dana wrote "Sammy's Visit," the well-known and incredibly popular episode of All in the Family which featured Sammy Davis, Jr. In the 1980s, Dana appeared as the father to Howie Mandel's character of Dr. Wayne Fiscus on St. Elsewhere. (Odd that I found out about Mr. Dana's passing on the same day that I heard about the death of Stephen Furst, who appeared on St. Elsewhere as a regular.) Dana later played Estelle Getty's brother on The Golden Girls.

With Danny Thomas.

 With Ed Sullivan.

In a cameo appearance as José Jimenez on Batman.
Sorry I couldn't find a shot that actually included Batman!

With Steve Allen.



With buddy Don Adams on The Bill Dana Show.


As Bernardo in Walt Disney Television's Zorro and Son,
a comical sequel to their 1950s Zorro series, which premiered
in 1983. Dana is flanked by Paul Regina and Henry Darrow.

With Adams, Jonathan Harris (later of Lost in Space), and Maggie Peterson.

With "son" Howie Mandel on St. Elsewhere.

With Estelle Getty on The Golden Girls.


Now, I have to wonder, who's next? Celebrities who've been running through my mind one way or another lately are Carl Reiner (who's ninety-five), Norman Lear (who's ninety-four), and yet another St. Elsewhere alumnus, Norman Lloyd (who's 102)! Watch this space.

Thanks for your time.

23 comments:

  1. Are you taking bets now? Geez, how morbid lol

    Never knew he wrote that All in the Family episode. Sure had a long career indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your previous post subject didn't ring any bells for me, but Bill Dana sure does. I grew up listening to "My name, José Jimenez." Ah well, at least at 92 he'd had a full life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, Roy, if you were unfamiliar with Stephen Furst, does that mean you never saw Animal House?

      Delete
    2. I deliberately avoided Animal House. I saw the real thing in action when I was at college, and I really didn't want to see it glorified on screen. I don’t find that kind of thing funny.

      Delete
    3. Well, naturally, in the movie the troublemakers were the underdogs.

      Delete
  3. Please don't tell anyone that I'm alive. I'm not sure I am anyway, but if you say I am, I'm a goner.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janie stole my comment. I was going to say that I hope you don't discuss my "breathing/not breathing" status with anyone, but since I'm not a somebody, I suppose I'm safe.

    However, if Carl Reiner, Norman Lear, and Norman Lloyd all die in the order you've mentioned them, I'm going to start to wonder . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I should start some kind of pool, or at least start writing journal entries on my blog so if I predict another one, everyone will know it.

      Delete
    2. I bet on Carl Reiner to go next. I think Norman Lloyd will live to 105.

      Delete
    3. Well you could be me and have a dream
      I keep a journal, so when events happen I can look back and say yup again, it can be depressing, it's not easy being me

      Delete
    4. I hope Norman Lloyd does hit 105!

      Delete
    5. Well, 102 is impressive whatever he is doing seems to be working, let's say 105 may it be so!

      Delete
  5. Gee Mr Silver Fox, another one has made an exit from this world. Perhaps, we shouldn't ponder who will be next.

    How are you Mr Silver Fox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? I'm doing fairly well, except for a back that's continuously sore. How've you been?

      Delete
    2. Doing ok, I just work too much
      Need to have a bit of fun..

      Thanks for asking

      Delete
    3. Always make time to enjoy yourself.

      Delete
  6. The kiss of death. haha. I always knew your kisses were deadly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw him on the Danny Thomas show reruns not long ago! I don't think it is so much that you are a jinx, but more that you happen to be thinking of older celebrities. Now, if you started thinking for twenty & thirty year old celebs, and they started passing away, I'd say you were on to something.
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. Most of the celebrities -- actors, musicians, writers, etc. -- whom I'm fond of are older ones, whether I became a fan of theirs relatively recently or grew up "with" them. For example, I recently watched my DVD set of both seasons of Disney's Zorro show from the late fifties. It makes sense that many of the actors who were adults in the late 1950s are either dead or quite old. Not really much of a surprise when someone that age passes.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...