Award drawn and "donated" by Skip Simpson,
based on a poster he found on the internet.
What "The Silver Fox's THRUST HOME Award" is (edited from my January 8th post , which originally announced it):
Bloggers like to give each other awards. One of the drawbacks to these awards is that they're usually given with a set of conditions. Quite often, one of these conditions is that the awardee must "pass on" the award to a pre-ordained number of other bloggers, which has the unfortunate effect of turning the award itself into more of an internet chain letter than a true honor.
So I've created my own blasted award.
One of my all-time favorite stories is Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano constantly used the expression "Thrust home!" when fatally piercing an opponent during a sword fight. I've appropriated that phrase for... The Silver Fox's Thrust Home Award! -- Given to the Author of a Single Outstanding Blog Post.
And my rules for the award... and the rules for its recipients, are:
- This award will be given by me, and no one else, and generally to only one recipient at a time.
- I'll only give the award to those whose posts have truly "thrust home" with me, so even my best friends on the 'net might never get one.
- The award will usually go to a post of what I deem to be of general import and interest, but that may be fudged once in a while to reflect my own biases. (My award, my stupid rules. Deal with it.)
- There will be no set frequency for the giving of the award.
- Theoretically, a recipient of The Silver Fox's Thrust Home Award! may win once, twice... or 47 times! This is an award for individual blog posts, not for blogs!
- Recipients would be asked to mention their receipt of said award on their own sites, along with a corresponding link to my own. And a little blurb on your sidebar -- feel free to copy and paste the graphic, of course! -- would be greatly appreciated.
- Winners are not allowed to give this award to others.
- Other than that, awardees are not asked to do anything else. You've already done it!
And the latest recipient is (Clicking on the blog's bold-faced title will bring you to its latest post, while, as you've probably surmised, clicking on the title of the "winning" post will bring you to that post itself.):
Brian Miller has a knack for poetry, as well as for intriguing short stories which begin one way and end in another way that makes you wonder how he got there from where he started! (What I call leading you from point 1... to point 2... to point C.) He's won TSFTHA for a poem which tells a powerful story. In only fifty-five words -- fifty-five words, fellow babies! -- Brian makes a grim statement about an equally grim subject, that of domestic violence. If I were to go on and on about it, I'd only be gilding the proverbial lily; this post of mine is already a lot longer than the one I'm recommending! Go read it. Congratulations, Brian!
Thanks for your time.