Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Terrificon 2018, BONUS ~~ A "Comical Wednesday" Post


I've done several long "Comical Wednesday" entries lately, in spite of the fact that most of my readers aren't comic book fans (unlike myself). So instead of long-winded multi-part CW posts on various subjects, I'm going to trytrytry to keep the posts fairly short. Well, for a while, anyway.

Let's see how I do.

Back in Part Three of my series about Terrificon 2018, I showed two photos (courtesy of my friend John) of the line for writer/artist Jim Starlin. I'm going to show those photos again, and follow each with some close-ups, and my own smart-ass comments. Here goes.

First is one part of the line to see Jim Starlin.


There are many convention attendees who are what are called "cosplayers" (costume players). If you've ever seen any local TV news coverage about a nearby convention, you've seen cosplayers. That's pretty much the only type of person they interview, so we all look a big loony!

Cosplayers dress up as anyone they want to, whether it's a comic character, a movie character, a science fiction character, a character from Japanese anime... the list is endless. Some cosplayers are featured guests with their own tables at conventions! Cosplayers often cross-dress, meaning you may very well see some guy dressed as, say, Harley Quinn!

Harley Quinn

Two Male Harley Quinn cosplayers! (Photo NOT taken at Terrificon!)

Anyway, the following close-up focuses on two cosplayers waiting in Jim Starlin's line. I must admit I have no idea who the young lady in purple or the person in the ringmasterish costume are supposed to be.


And I must also admit, I don't know if this convention-goer in the background of the previous shot is wearing a costume or not!


In a previous chapter, I mentioned that some folks (like myself) bring small stacks of comics or magazines, to have them autographed by one or more convention guests. The next two photos show people carrying what I would call "normal" stacks.



Even this next guy, who seems to be carting around more, evidently has an item or two other than a comic book that he wants signed, or maybe he's got something or some things he purchased at the convention.


Now let's move to another section of the line!


Hm. Looks like this person has a lot of stuff to be signed! Damn!


This trio really caught my eye. I'm not 100% sure if the young lady on your left is wearing an actual costume, but regardless, I really like her look! The orange cat lady outfit is nice, and I thought the Boy Scout uniform was an inspired touch.


Oh, wait. Maybe that kid was a real Boy Scout, one of several? Ya think?


Interesting how many of us comic book geeks wear glasses (as shown in the next photo), innit? Anyway, the short-haired, bespectacled dude on your far right seems to be noticing what I did: The big guy in the middle has a stroller which has probably never seen a child! Instead, it carries items which are much more important to their owner.


Oops. Spoke too soon. There is a child there, but she -- I'm assuming it's a "she," but it could be a boy cosplayer -- has obviously been supplanted in her stroller by what I just described as "items which are much more important to their owner."


And with that, I bid you farewell (well, for today)! Thanks for your time!

P.S. ~~ COMING SOON! (Watch for it!) A Re-Posting of One of the Best (and Longest) Stories I Ever Posted on This Blog!

18 comments:

  1. Haha That was entertaining. I have to admit I am a people watcher at events. So, I am sure my radar would be picking up a lot of energy.

    I think the guy with the briefcase style bag has the best idea. Especially, if it is one of those accordion types. You can sort those comic books by title or artist.

    Wow to those hauling bins of items. That seems like a lot of work. I like to travel light

    Hmm, who would you dress as Silver? Batman?

    Fun post Silver....

    Now, I want to go people watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't dressed up (like, for Halloween) in a lonnnng time! If I were to choose a costume for a comic convention? Hm. The beard would make things difficult. Maybe the 1980s comic book version of Deacon Frost from Tomb of Dracula would work. (No one will probably know him!)

      Delete
  2. Is that a real rib cage on Harley Quinn? I wonder if I can borrow him to do some ironing (and perhaps other "chores").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that bod does look authentic. I had to take a close look because so many superhero outfits nowadays have built-in muscles.

      Delete
  3. That was fun and a real snapshot of conventions - something I know absolutely nothing about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? That's just one of the public services this blog provides!

      Delete
  4. haha that one has a lot to be signed indeed. Wow. Kid has two feet, she can walk, poor goodies can't. Maybe what he's thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say, in all fairness to the convention-goers who brought dozens of books, there were a lot of comic and media guests there.

      Delete
  5. Just me - catching up. Good to be back. I'd have lots of stuff I'd want signed too if I went to such an event..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the fact that you "catch up," Nila. Sometimes I think my regular readers actually miss a lot of my posts.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes. There are a lot of people who read my blog on a regular basis, but most of them don't always comment... not that they have to. Anyway, some of these "regulars" only seem to visit when they post on their own blogs, and/or when I comment on their blogs, etc. So even though I only post two times a week, I feel like they're missing something here. Ha.

      Delete
    2. Of course they are missing something, yours post are interesting and funny!
      I always try to comment :)
      Some people is lazy to comment I know !

      Delete
    3. Some people just don't comment unless they really feel that they have something to add. Some people avoid things like "Nice post." I have some reader that don't comment for weeks, or even months, but they still follow my blog. And my stat-counter tells me that there are a lot more actual readers than commenters, although I have no way of knowing if these are regular readers or people who found my blog with a Google search. It doesn't tell me whether they stay and read the post they landed on, either. I'm sure some people seed a post and say "Oh. This wasn't what I was looking for."

      Delete
    4. Dont worry about these readers. The real readers are HERE , we are.

      Delete
    5. Yes, and I certainly appreciate you and the others.

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...