Thursday, October 21, 2010

An Uncomfortable "First" ~~ An Early "Sepia Saturday" Post

My mother and father, flanked by my Aunt Esther and Uncle Billy, on their September 28th, 1940 wedding day.

(This is an early Sepia Saturday post, fellow babies!)

Oh, yeah, today's gonna be a tough one...

Next month marks the 54th anniversary of my own arrival on this mudball we call Planet Earth, but today's post is not about me, really.

It's about my mother.

Today -- Tuesday, October 20th, for those who won't see this until the upcoming weekend -- would have been her 93rd birthday. Would have been. But as my regular readers know, my mom passed away on December 19th, 2009. This, then, is the first birthday she's not around for, and since I'm writing this on Monday morning, I have no idea how I'm going to feel knowing that my mom won't be sitting at home waiting for a present, a card, or even a call from either of her children.

 
I've shown it before, and probably will again: One of my
all-time favorite photos of my mom, dancing with a Mexican
waiter when she and I spent a few days in Cancun back in 2002.

One of the last two photos taken of my mother on March 28th, 2008.
That's my sister Kathy standing on her right.

The other photo taken that day. Standing on my mom's left is none other
than Yours Truly. Now, who says I never post photos of myself on this blog?

Posting this on Wednesday instead of Saturday will buy me some time needed to attend to a bunch of other things, by the way. See you next week, I hope.

Thanks for your time.

19 comments:

  1. Who says you never? Me! :) You look like your dad!

    Nice post about your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very warm post this - just loved looking at the old sepia photo of your parents wedding day, it was so close in date to my own Mother and Father who were married in London on September 4 1940.No white wedding for them, my Father home on leave, returned the next day. How nice to see your Mother happy in the last two photos - life never seems entirely the same without them does it. Keep happy and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Now I'm sad for you. How great that she had such a long full life though. I know that's not very comforting, but it's all I've got. I'm better at funny.

    You inspired my blog post today. It's about the war. Come see! It will cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I'm dancing in Cancun when I'm that age.

    Happy birthday, mom! Great photos, all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom looked a bit like your avatar picture, minus beard of course!?! Or is that the other way around? some resemblance there somehow.

    Well happy early b'day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post David. Your mom, of course, I believe, is with you in spirit. She was a beautiful woman and a beautiful spirit with you. So sorry about your lost. I did not know about you when it happened. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these photos are lovely but the first one is just gorgeous. You will miss your Mum on her birthday this year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't get better, but it does get easier. Really, as the years pass this will make sense.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anniversaries are difficult... so kind thoughts to you. Your Mum would love to know we are seeing her so young and beautiful on her wedding day ..and beautiful in older age. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lost my mom 16 years ago. The birthdays are always hard, especially that first one without her.

    Hope you find some peace in the day. I agree with "tattered and lost's" comment. I never truly thought of it that way, but she's so right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a loving post for your mother. She looks beautiful on her wedding day and she and your father look so happy. I'm sorry for her passing and your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sepia photo is so happy. Of course it should be for a wedding day, but they all glow!Love the old car and the dress of the time. Your mother looks very sweet and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely tribute to your mother. I'm honored to share her special day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a nice post for mom. I am still working on the house to sell it and we have almost everything out of it that looked like mom who died two years ago plus. The memories will continue forever for you and your mom looked like she knew how to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To all: Thanks for your comments on this post. I apologize for not answering sooner, but as implied in the ending of the post, the past week has been extremely busy. I've only had time to visit a handful of Sepia Saturday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice post about your mom. I love the pic of her dancing with the waiter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. cruel irony for me, as my mom's birthday IS dec 19th... but then, she passed away on september 9th, 10:40 am, and i couldn't be there in her last few hours, even if she was in a coma apparently... a twinge of guilt here. i won't tell you that bullshit line that time heals everything and that it gets easier. IT DOESN'T!! but you learn to live with it. i don't have time to read the other comments but all i can convey is my sympathy/empathy and a darn big hug to you. all i can say is: cherish the memories!!

    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...