Sunday, August 5, 2018

Playing with Words (A "Grammar Nazi/Short Shorts" Post)


Some random points, in no apparent order!
  • Years ago, I would wonder why Bono, the lead singer of U2, pronounced his name "bonno" instead of "boe-noe," like Sonny Bono. Then I found out that his real name is Paul Hewson, and that "Bono" is short for Bono Vox, a Latin phrase which means "good voice." And as I recalled from high school, the Latin pronunciation of "bono" is "bonno."
  • I'd never heard of record producer and music executive Marion "Suge" Knight until his arrest for murder in 2015. Actually, "heard" isn't quite the right word. I read about his arrest online, and when I saw the name "Suge" Knight, I thought "Sooj?" What the hell kinda name is "Sooj?" Well, as it turns out, "Suge" is short for "Sugar Bear," so obviously it isn't pronounced the way I pronounced it in my mind as I read it... But I'd like to have a few words with the guy who decided on the spelling of "Suge."
  • Every so often, someone will write a short version of a word and make up the spelling of the abbreviation. (I did an entire post on the abbreviations for "microphone" here.) Sometimes these shortened words work for me, sometimes not. I've seen people abbreviate "favorite" as both "fave" and "fav." "Fave" makes sense. It would rhyme with words like "stave" and "knave." I've also seen "fav," which strikes me as wrong. I see "fav" and think, That rhymes with "have" and "salve." Another word is "vacation," sometimes abbreviated in print as "vacay" (which makes perfect sense to me) and sometimes "vaca" (which does not make sense to me). I'd pronounce that second one as "vacca," which rhymes with the way that most people think people from Massachusetts pronounce words like "hacker" and "tracker." Actually, Vacca was the name of a 6th-century grammarian, which seems very appropriate in this case.
  • This isn't really grammar-related, but if you sneeze and someone says "God bless you" or "Bless you," you probably say "Thank you" to him or her. Do you thank people who say "gesundheit" (as I do) instead? People rarely say "Thank you" to me when I say "gesundheit." Why? I'm wishing them health. So, if anyone ever says "gesundheit" to you after you sneeze, thank the sucker. Or I'll hunt you down and smack you.
  • I'm seeing more and more people writing "awe" lately, when (for example) something is really cute and they mean to write "aw" (or "aww")! As my friend Betsy recently said, that works "only if you really are in awe!"
  • Sometimes I'm writing dialogue (or just my blog, which I kinda write like I'm actually speaking to you), and I want to stress a word, so I'll drag it out a bit. For instance, when you read "realllly," you probably read it just the way I want you to read it! I've seen people do this in different ways, ways which -- once again! -- I just might find fault with. If you stress "big" by writing "biiiig," it works... But sometimes, people think that just repeating the last letter of any word will have that effect. When I see a word like "loveeee," I don't read it the way the writer intended. (If I were to stretch out a word like "love," I'd probably write "luvvvv" or something similar.) To me, "loveeee" would be pronounced like "lovey," and as most of us know, "Lovey" was Mrs. Thurston Howell III on Gilligan's Island.
  • Finally, speaking of abbreviations, I've seen people try to stress expressions from texting or the internet, like "LOL" ("laugh out loud," or "laughing out loud," as you know). I've actually seen things like "lololol" which would technically translate to "laughing out loud out loud out loud." ("OKAY, I GET IT. YOU WERE LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!!") Another one I saw recently was when Kendra Wilkinson tweeted "lmaoooo," which would mean "laugh my ass off off off off!" That makes a lot of sense, right? Oh, well, other than "btw" and "IIRC," I generally stay away from those kinds of abbreviation anyway.
Hey, no big finish here. Just some random points, as I told you at the beginning of the post!


Thanks for your time.

12 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone has ever said gesundheit to me. Must not get used much around here. Or I never sneeze in front of people. Who knows.

    I've also seen people mean awww and they say ahhhh. I guess cute is scary?

    I tend to use full words, as using some of the abbreviations irk me. Unless I need to be lazy force a rhyme maybe lololololol What?

    How can one laugh their ass off anyway? Since when are they detachable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine in high school once sent a fan letter to National Lampoon saying "Every time I read your magazine, I laugh my balls off. Ha, ha. Bounce, bounce."

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm a "gesundheit" person, too, coming from an area with a high concentration of German emigrés. But we never used that very much, either; my Dad, engineer that he was, taught us to say "excuse me" when we sneezed, because the whole gesundheit/bless you thing is a superstition meant to keep the devil from flying up your nose when you sneezed. Dad was a good Lutheran, even a lay preacher and the guy who helped create the Sunday School curriculum for the (then) new merger of various Lutheran variants into ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), but he had no room in his theology for mindless peasant superstitions. As I said, he was also an engineer and a man of science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say "Bless You" I remember my grandmother telling me that when you sneeze there is usually negative energy due to illness. I have also heard that when you sneeze your heart stops for a second. I am not sure that is actually true.

    Well, leave it to Bono to be unique.

    Gee Silver sounds like you spend time pondering about things as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think and/or obsess about some really weird shi-- errr, stuff.

      Delete
  4. Okay, I'm pleading guilty on the charge of fav. I think I've used it once or twice though to be honest, I'm really don't think I'm an abbreviations person.

    And thank you for introducing me to gesundheit. I have never had it said to me, sneezing or unsneezing, that's because my exposure to German is almost nil. What we say in my culture when someone sneezes is 'jeevo shahasra' which originates from the Sanskrit meaning 'may you live a thousand years.' Isn't it strangely wonderful how all cultures have similar reactions to sneezing?

    So is Suge pronounced Shoog or what? :)

    I'm back and blogging. Hope your July has gone well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to start saying "jeevo shahasra" from now on when someone near me sneezes. That oughtta really mess with their heads!

      Yes! "Shoog" is exactly how I would spell the intended pronunciation of "Suge!"

      Delete
  5. It took me a long time to write "mike" as "mic." In fact, I never wrote Mike as "mike," unless I was writing Mike as in Michael. I only write mike as "mic" because everyone would otherwise ask me who Mike is and why I'm fingering, then whispering into him. As if it's anyone else's business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a mike (I will never spell it "mic") quite a bit when I sang in various rock bands, Robyn, but I never thought of it erotically until I read your comment!

      Delete
  6. Awwww that’s so funny..sorry had to use that...hahahaaa. Yes, I am laughing at what I wrote. I will still always call Bono and we’ll, Bono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you used the right version of "awwww!"

      Delete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...