Friday, June 10, 2011

We Interrupt This Sabbatical...



Only a few short days ago, I posted that I would be away from blogging "until further notice." And I meant it. No, really.

One of the reasons is that I've recently felt that my creative juices were somewhat dried up for the moment. And that hasn't changed.

However, that doesn't keep me from appreciating -- and highly recommending -- someone else's creativity, and passing along the good news to you, fellow babies.

Castles Made of Sand is a book by a young author who has crafted an amazingly authentic-sounding historical fiction novel about the 1960s (starting in 1964), and the years that followed. If you're at all interested in the music of the time, and/or the political movement(s) of that era as well, I strongly suggest you follow this link. (It's offered only on Amazon's Kindle, but there's a way you can order Kindle books for your PC without actually owning a Kindle device.)

Here's the review I posted on Amazon.com:

I was born in 1956, so although I lived throughout the 1960s and early 1970s, I wasn't involved in the so-called counter-culture while it was happening. Neither was the young author of this lengthy, amazing work of historical fiction -- she wasn't even born until years after most of the events discussed herein -- but you'd be hard-pressed to discern that from reading it. Keair Snyder has done an astounding amount of research in order to make both the historical figures and the original characters in this book ring true for the reader. Outside of the typographical errors which I've joked about with the author herself -- errors that invariably result when one proofreads one's own work countless times -- I found nothing negative in the book. Its story, and the way it's told, are compelling enough for me to recommend it highly. Listing all the ways in which this novel impressed me would make this review almost as long as the book itself, so I won't. Suffice it to say that there's a great mix of actual facts and conjectures about what many of the musical and political icons of the era were like when "off-camera." It's entertaining, and all too believable.

Now all you have to do is click on that link and order the more-than-reasonably-priced book! And tell 'em Foxy sent ya!

Thanks for your time.

11 comments:

  1. Awwwww!!!!! David, you're the fucking greatest, man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. All the women who think that are much too young for me, in a relationship, or both. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice...thanks for the heads up david...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you really enjoyed it! And sounds like Keair enjoyed the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that always the way Fox..haha

    How can one not appreciate a review from you, of course be interesting to see what Orson would do, although with no thumbs it's hard to flip the page, so us cats may go in a rage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not too young. I'm an old soul. :)

    I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Betsy: "And sounds like Keair enjoyed the review!" Ya think, haha?

    @Pat: Yeah, that's always the way...

    @Megan: I think there's a compliment in there. :) Funny you should call yourself an "old soul." I've called Keair that a couple of times because she managed to lock on to feelings about a generation which (supposedly) isn't "hers."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. I'm looking for a book to read but I'm go the old-fashioned route and check it out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, dear David...I think this was a most worthy cause to take up and stall the sabatical for a very worthy moment. You opinion means much to me, so I of course will check it out. As a child of the 80's, the 60's held a very special appeal to me, as I didn't quite seem to fit well within my own time...so I am off to click the link (after offering you a very humble thanks for your kind words at my space!) good to hear from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Fox! Good to know you are still around even though, like me, you are currently ...er...er...stepping back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Dear Silver... I know you're resting, (well deserved) but I wanted to pop in and say thank you so very much for introducing me to Keair's work, and in turn, thinking enough of me to share my Morrison piece with her. I am flattered beyond all measure. You made this Monday a rockin' one! :) (cheeseball in your house!) With a sincere thanks and a big hug through the blogisphere!

    ReplyDelete

I strongly urge you to sign up for follow-up comments, because I (usually) reply to your comment! Comments left for me more than three weeks after a post is published will not appear until I approve them, but they will be answered eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...